Value for money marine stereo?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Value for money marine stereo?

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Looking to fit a marine stereo and speakers into my tinny. It's not a large boat, only 485 so thinking 2x 6" speakers should do the job. No need for overkill with an amp/sub etc. Also a head unit compatible with USB/Bluetooth/Radio.

Fusion is pretty cheap, but is it great value for money or would it be better looking at something a little more expensive?

Preferably under $500.

Pomme

Re: Value for money marine stereo?

Post by Pomme » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:19 am

Hi Kimtown, have just done the same on my 5.2 renegade,got speakers & head unit for under $200 all from jay car, marine grade not a bad sound either.
TIGHT LINES.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 am

Just a different option to consider,
I've got a 5.5m fibreglass Centre Console and I opted to try one of those Bluetooth wireless speaker boxs - I don't know their proper name, it has its own inbuilt rechargeable battery.
I got mine cheap from Kmart, it's not a waterproof unit but I use it in my boat and stow it in the bow gunnel storage, so it faces toward the stern. It's out of the way from the water and runs all day on 1 charge.
I just connect to it with my phone and use the radio apps or select my music I have on my phone.
I might eventually get a built in radio, but there are so many new options coming out recently I will wait and see what comes out next so for now I just went super simple.
The sound is good and bassy and fills the boat, I don't crank it up often but it works great.
No wires.
Easily removed and use it at home too.
No antenna required - unless you don't have phone/data reception. In that case I just use my own music library.
It's about half the size of a shoe box.
I think it was about $40-50.

Jamie.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:32 pm

I got the fusion kit in mine with 4 6inch speakers and it rattles the boat.. 2 speakers and a head unit would be plenty in yours. I haven't had an issue with them at all. I get spray all over them and they have lasted years.

Cheers, Anth

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Got mine installed 3 months ago on my 4.5m centre console and only use like 3 times and im scared it will drain out my batt and i cant come back to the ramp lol..

https://www.elite-electronics.com.au/Ma ... marine-rcr

https://www.elite-electronics.com.au/Ma ... marine-spk

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks very much for the responses guys! I think the fusion combo kit with head unit + 2x 6" will do me nicely by the sounds of it. Can pick it up for around 200-300 so not a bad price.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm

I have a fusion head unit in my cabin its the ipod version. I have 2 6 inch speakers and a couple of years ago I installed a remote on my dash to operate the head unit it used to give me the ***** going into the cabin to change albums. Sounds good but its background music for me when out on the water although I do like headbanging music

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 pm

I recently bought a ue boom 2 instead of a boat stereo. It's awesome.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

ducky wrote:I recently bought a ue boom 2 instead of a boat stereo. It's awesome.
I have a boom as well, got it for a Xmas present.

It's a beauty, but I'd rather something a little more permanent in the boat. I get to conscious of stuff rolling around in the boat and I'd be forever paranoid getting water and weather on it.

She's an inside boom haha

Hardyakka

Post by Hardyakka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 pm

We've done the whole stereo setup in boats before and in future I will be going down the portable speaker/phone option.
Even though we have always used waterproof speakers, cable and connectors, and marine stereos, the stuff gets wrecked and corroded (i fish saltwater), and the quality isnt as good whilst you are still paying a small fortune for a decent set up.
For half the money you'll spend on a portable speaker, it'll get you a so much better sound system. Plus you can use it in your other boat, kayak, caravan, garage etc.

Return to “Marine Electronics”