Transducer Positioning

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Transducer Positioning

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm

There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:43 pm

re-tyred wrote:The transducer position looks too high.
This will not effect the arching of targets. Arches are an effect of wider beam angles. The P66 200khz has a narrow beam and will not produce much arching.
If you use the 50khz , which has approx. 45deg beam angle, then you will get arching. 50khz will not work very well at speed and you may find it too strong in shallower water, with lots of interference.
Thanks mate, interesting read!

Taking into account the above, how would moving the transducer down effect the sounder readings?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

it wont affect the actual arches, but will help hold bottom at speed and also have less interference

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 am

http://www.teachinfishin.com/fish-arches.html
After reading this, think about a very narrow beam and you will understand why small beam angles don't produce arches.
The advantage of narrow beams is a clearer picture and better detection of fish near the bottom. Plus better bottom shape displayed.
If you are a bottom basher then you need a narrow beam option on your sounder. If you chase pelagics a wider beam will help you find the bait schools.
P66 transducer provides you with 200khz at approx. 12 deg and 50khz at approx. 40deg. Note in shallow water they will detect outside the quoted beam angle.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 am

purple5ive wrote:it wont affect the actual arches, but will help hold bottom at speed and also have less interference
Cheers mate - going to move it down and see how we go!

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:00 am

re-tyred wrote:http://www.teachinfishin.com/fish-arches.html
After reading this, think about a very narrow beam and you will understand why small beam angles don't produce arches.
The advantage of narrow beams is a clearer picture and better detection of fish near the bottom. Plus better bottom shape displayed.
If you are a bottom basher then you need a narrow beam option on your sounder. If you chase pelagics a wider beam will help you find the bait schools.
P66 transducer provides you with 200khz at approx. 12 deg and 50khz at approx. 40deg. Note in shallow water they will detect outside the quoted beam angle.
Mate that is brilliant, perfectly explains it. I am surprised that not more people know this... in fact I have been told other reasons why fish arch by guys who do this for a living.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am

so basically if you have seen an arch on the screen, you have just driven past the fish. as most transducers are on the back of the boat

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Way too high. Lower it as much as you can with the current holes.

Not only will you loose bottom with the transducer mounted too high there will also be lots of interference.

You should have zero issues holding bottom at all speeds so start there as your bench mark.

Ps I typicall use LF and HF with the split screen in PPB.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:so basically if you have seen an arch on the screen, you have just driven past the fish. as most transducers are on the back of the boat
Yes, that is why some sounder/gps systems have the ability to put a cursor on the sounder pic and hit save, this creates a mark at where you WERE when the echo was recorded.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:09 pm

re-tyred wrote:
purple5ive wrote:so basically if you have seen an arch on the screen, you have just driven past the fish. as most transducers are on the back of the boat
Yes, that is why some sounder/gps systems have the ability to put a cursor on the sounder pic and hit save, this creates a mark at where you WERE when the echo was recorded.
yep, and i have one better. because i have my trolling motor connected to the sounder (more $$$ involved when setting up) i can scroll back to the marked fish on the screen and select it on the screen, then hit the navigate to cursor button and the trolling motor will take me there :banana:

however i have used this feature only sparingly cause i cant seem to mark the damn fish :rofl: and when i have done, ive been so busy trying to catch them ive forgotten about this little trick.
all the gear and no idea when to use it :oops: :oops:

Return to “Marine Electronics”