driving lights for the boat?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

driving lights for the boat?

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:28 am

hi
im looking into getting some driving / fog lights so i can see where im going in the dark now that its getting dark when i want to lanch.
what do people already have?

what do you think of these for different options?..
a
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/72W-16-Inch- ... SwXYtY3HjJ

b
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Flood-Be ... SwzJ5XbNeZ

cheers ricki

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: driving lights for the boat?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:48 am

If you mean being able to see the channel markers, well and good. I have a led spot bar on the front of my boat and it is great for seeing the channel markers at Hastings. Otherwise at night they are pretty useless.

If you really want to see in the dark, then you need either radar or infra red.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:If you mean being able to see the channel markers, well and good. I have a led spot bar on the front of my boat and it is great for seeing the channel markers at Hastings. Otherwise at night they are pretty useless.

I can see about 5 mt in front of the boat with my head lamp.
I would like to be able to see a bit further so i see the water and waves, boats, buoys and even some land when getting close etc

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 am

smile0784 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:If you mean being able to see the channel markers, well and good. I have a led spot bar on the front of my boat and it is great for seeing the channel markers at Hastings. Otherwise at night they are pretty useless.

I can see about 5 mt in front of the boat with my head lamp.
I would like to be able to see a bit further so i see the water and waves, boats, buoys and even some land when getting close etc
In my experience, the light is pretty useless to see the water and not that great on waves either. You will see the buoys and channel markers especially as they have reflective material. moored boats can be hard to see as the background lighting makes it difficult, like trying to look from a light room into the dark.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:19 am

Lights are only ok at night time. Just make sure you don't get any light reflecting back at you otherwise it will ruin your ability to see beyond it as your eyes adjust to low lighting levels.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:54 pm

I have a 6 led light bar on the fwd part of my canopy 2 shine to the left 2 fwd and 2 to the right illuminates out the front pretty well I still would not travel at high speed. The square leds I have fitted at the rear of my rocket launcher to illuminate the work area bait board and water around the back of the boat. I rarely use them except at the ramp or when packing up my gear when out on the water

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:42 pm

I built lights into the hull off my boat when I built it.

There great for lsunching/retrieving at night , driving slow at night in lakes and creeks., prawning ect

They go wide and long.

They are however no good for driving fast at night...you cant see far enough in front....but the only time I would drive fast at night is a emergency

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 am

I had a set of great white led lights spare and have made up a set of mounts that can easily be removed. An anderson plug connects into the bulkhead and then the wires run to the console with a switch. They draw 9amp each and I have 2x 120aH agm batteries so that doesn't bother me too much. I have found them to be pretty awesome when it's clear, any fog and they are hard work but other wise perfect to switch on when I need to move spots at night. I tend to only use them when no one else is around, i don't want to be "that bloke" that blinds you at night.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Millzee wrote:I had a set of great white led lights spare and have made up a set of mounts that can easily be removed. An anderson plug connects into the bulkhead and then the wires run to the console with a switch. They draw 9amp each and I have 2x 120aH agm batteries so that doesn't bother me too much. I have found them to be pretty awesome when it's clear, any fog and they are hard work but other wise perfect to switch on when I need to move spots at night. I tend to only use them when no one else is around, i don't want to be "that bloke" that blinds you at night.
I need more details on this boat. Lol. Looks awesome!

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:28 pm

no worries Ducky, is there a thread to post boat set ups??

Return to “Marine Electronics”