AWQ VHF radio

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

AWQ VHF radio

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Last night I obtained my Australian Waters Qualification to use the VHF radio on my boat, well any boat that has a VHF radio.

Last time I looked I knew that a person need a licence to operate a VHF radio. When I say the figure of $145 I thought that was per year, but later found out that it is a once off, and once you have the licence, it is yours for life with no on going fees.

Around this time last year we were in a situation that required us too talk the coast guard over the VHF radio, and anyone can use the VHF radio in an emergency situation and not be fined for not having a licence.

You will however be fined for a false emergency call or using the VHF radio for routine calls without a licence.

The course I attended was much more about using the radio in an emergency situation, and other safety equipment plus EPIRB.

Now that I have a boat with a VHF and that I plan to head off shore, it is handy to have this information, plus qualification.

People who have a UHF do not need a licence and UHF is not monitored 24/7 where as VHF is monitored all the time, with land based repeater stations.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: AWQ VHF radio

Post by skronkman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:28 pm

I dont think there is a UHF marine radio? I could be wrong but I thought all the UHF Radios in the shops were terrestrial, like for 4x4 etc...... Are you referring to 27MHz?

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

skronkman wrote:I dont think there is a UHF marine radio? I could be wrong but I thought all the UHF Radios in the shops were terrestrial, like for 4x4 etc...... Are you referring to 27MHz?

Yes, 27 meg.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Last night I obtained my Australian Waters Qualification to use the VHF radio on my boat, well any boat that has a VHF radio.

Last time I looked I knew that a person need a licence to operate a VHF radio. When I say the figure of $145 I thought that was per year, but later found out that it is a once off, and once you have the licence, it is yours for life with no on going fees.

Around this time last year we were in a situation that required us too talk the coast guard over the VHF radio, and anyone can use the VHF radio in an emergency situation and not be fined for not having a licence.

You will however be fined for a false emergency call or using the VHF radio for routine calls without a licence.

The course I attended was much more about using the radio in an emergency situation, and other safety equipment plus EPIRB.

Now that I have a boat with a VHF and that I plan to head off shore, it is handy to have this information, plus qualification.

Who did you do your licence with I have a vhf radio but no maritime vhf licence I want to get an mms I number so I can use the dsc part of my radio.cheers

People who have a UHF do not need a licence and UHF is not monitored 24/7 where as VHF is monitored all the time, with land based repeater stations.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:16 pm

I should have put my glasses on, who did you do your licence with I have an aviation vhf radio licence but not a maritime one and I want to use the dsc part of my radio and need to get an mmsi number

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Only uhf marine band. Other the is the scumbags if cb an not worth using.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170311-185026.png

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:10 pm

skronkman wrote:I dont think there is a UHF marine radio? I could be wrong but I thought all the UHF Radios in the shops were terrestrial, like for 4x4 etc...... Are you referring to 27MHz?
The UHF for marine use is the 27 meg, however the use of the VHF radio is perhaps better with a greater range.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Nude up wrote:I should have put my glasses on, who did you do your licence with I have an aviation vhf radio licence but not a maritime one and I want to use the dsc part of my radio and need to get an mmsi number
http://www.peninsulaboattraining.com.au/

They run a course that is AWQ, Australian Waters Qualification.

I will be putting a new VHF radio in my boat that has the DSC button.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks I will book in

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:24 am

adamk wrote:Only uhf marine band. Other the is the scumbags if cb an not worth using.
I've never heard of this. after a google search though, it is used on large ships between members of the crew or something, like handheld walkie talkies (similar to security guards in a shopping mall). It's not a marine band used in Australia for boat to boat or boat to land transmissions that I can tell. No mention of it on any of the Australian maritime websites. We use 27MHz (technically HF) and VHF radios for general use. The is also HF but it is uncommon for small non ocean going vessels.

I think any mention of UHF for marine use only confuses people.

Return to “Marine Electronics”