24 volt electric motor advice

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: 24 volt electric motor advice

Post by barra mick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:22 pm

ducky wrote:Yeah mate you'd be able to find a 24V car fridge as most trucks are 24V. Failing that get a 24V to 12V dc converter to run your engel off your leccy batteries

I have a 55lb on my boat and despite being only 4.45m long there are times I've wished I had a bigger one.

Twin 120AH in series and you'll be able to run around all day. I haven't flattened my single 120ah in a days fishing yet.

Sounds like the new boat is going to be a beast.
boat coming along slowly ducky

Im considering running two 130 amp battery in series and run both fridge and trolling motor off them but its not my prefered method.

thanks will look at redarc

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:12 pm

ducky wrote:
I have a 55lb on my boat and despite being only 4.45m long there are times I've wished I had a bigger one.
how heavy is your boat man, that plays a big part as well, as with the cabling size, but im sure you already know about the cabling size being a sparky.

bm- if you can run the extra battery then run 2X12v for a 24v system and get the 24v trolling motor for sure.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 pm

purple5ive wrote:
ducky wrote:
how heavy is your boat man, that plays a big part as well, as with the cabling size, but im sure you already know about the cabling size being a sparky.

bm- if you can run the extra battery then run 2X12v for a 24v system and get the 24v trolling motor for sure.

cheers purple
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:
ducky wrote:

BMT is roughly 1050kg I think. Heavy for a small boat but that's what the weighbridge said.

Only ever wanted more juice when fighting against a ripping river flow or big tide. The battery is under the cast deck and the leads are as short as possible. No real voltage drop to speak of.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:45 pm

well i guess discount the trailer from this equation. but thats still a heavy bugger of a thing.
im guessing then passengers are added after, so even with 2 on board thats a lot of weight it has to push around.
yeah places like wpb any electric motor will struggle.
im in the process of looking into a new electric motor and am sitting on the fence about 12v or 24v. but the boat its going on isnt very heavy

bm - are you using a solar panel to charge when camping?
also are you going for a GPS enabled trolling motor, they will obviously use just a bit more juice due to the way the work, ( anchor/lock mode. where they are constantly working to keep you at the required spot)
also not sure if you already know but discharging a AGM battery below 30% is a good way to shorten life span of the said battery.

Return to “Marine Electronics”