Transducer angle problem or electrical interference. Please look at the pic!

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Transducer angle problem or electrical interference. Please look at the pic!

Post by Kestrel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:49 am

Hi folks

I've recently installed a Lowrance Elite X 9 sounder with a transom mount transducer to my 20ft tinny.

It appears to be functioning well, however the sonar pics are below what I would expect. I keep getting these short, vertical lines and when I speed up from around 4 knots to 6 knots the concentration of these lines becomes more pronounced.

I've attached a shot of the screen and you can clearly see more of these lines to the right and it represents the time I went faster. Interestingly, if I go even faster the screen doesn't become more cluttered.

So I'm thinking it's either a transducer angle issue or maybe an electrical interference issue although the new transducer cable is following along the same route as the old one...and I didn't have an issue with it.

The head unit setting is on auto.

Any suggestions? It's really getting on my nerves!
Attachments
Lowrance screen.jpg

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Transducer angle problem or electrical interference. Please look at the pic!

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:00 am

whats the sensitivity set to?
you will need to have a few goes to get it spot on, but if transducer isnt installed properly then its useless.
maybe a pic of it mounted may help rule the transducer out.
i dont think its the transducer though

Kestrel

Re: Transducer angle problem or electrical interference. Please look at the pic!

Post by Kestrel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks.

The sensitivity is set to auto. The 'interesting' thing for me is when I speed up from under 5 knots to just over...that's when the screen (see the right side of the pic) gets a bit more cluttered.

The transducer seems to be correctly fitted...gut below the line of the bottom of the hull and pretty much parallel to the surface.

K

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 am

Sensitivity issue. Auto is to put it bluntly, ****. In a lot of cases auto is far to high and you end up picking up signals from everything in the bay, even microscopic particles. Decrease the sensitivity on manual and it'll go away. You've got some breakup of the bottom where it's lost signal, but that's minor at best and could be anything from trapped air under the hull as it slapped down after a wave or the transom clearing the water

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am

You might find someone has put up some recommended settings for that sounder online somewhere. I was having difficulties with my Humminbird but someone on a random UK kayak forum had helped out another person who had the exact same problem as me.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Tinnys do create a lot of noise/bubbles which can cause problems for the transducer, correct mounting location is key.

Is there anything in line with the transducer on the hull?

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions.....all of them useful. Why do you think though I'm getting a bit more clutter on the screen when I speed up a bit, and it doesn't get worse if I continue to speed up?

K

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Air interference

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Electrical interference looks like light blue dots in a consistent pattern this looks like clutter and halfarches I think cobby is right. Try lowering the transducer to see if it gets any better

safia

Post by safia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:59 pm

"General" settings for ppb and wp, credit to someone off another fishing page.

Return to “Marine Electronics”