Transducer angle

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Transducer angle

Post by Kestrel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi folks

The instructions for the Lowrance Elite 9 indicate that the front of the transducer (ie.the pointy end!), should be angled slightly higher than the back.

This doesn't seem right to me because I'm thinking that when the boat speeds up the bow will rise and this will cause the transducer angle to increase even further and therefore not display correctly. I would have thought that if anything the front of the transducer would be installed angled down slightly to compensate for the bow lifting when underway.

Can anyone provide an explanation for the Lowrance advice?

Kestrel

Buckle&scream

Re: Transducer angle

Post by Buckle&scream » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 pm

This is a good question, I've always had the transducer set even with the boat, ive been told to have it that way, i sometimes have it higher then the back but haven't been able to tell a difference yet I still catch fish when I see nothing on the sounder and when I'm not catching the sounder a going off saying theres fish lol

Tackleberry
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:11 pm

simple if the front is lower then under speed there would be an air gap and it would not send or receive

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Instructions are correct.

You can try it both ways but it wont work so well if the rear is higher than the front.

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Kestrel wrote:Hi folks

The instructions for the Lowrance Elite 9 indicate that the front of the transducer (ie.the pointy end!), should be angled slightly higher than the back.

This doesn't seem right to me because I'm thinking that when the boat speeds up the bow will rise and this will cause the transducer angle to increase even further and therefore not display correctly. I would have thought that if anything the front of the transducer would be installed angled down slightly to compensate for the bow lifting when underway.

Can anyone provide an explanation for the Lowrance advice?

Kestrel
When I fished the fresh water lakes, trolling for trout, I use to angle the transducer so that it was angled forward. This meant that I had a little bit more warning about snags, so I could turn and try to avoid them.

Return to “Marine Electronics”