New Sounder

MattRC

New Sounder

Post by MattRC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Hey guys. Just bought myself a boat after about a 10 year lay off and am looking to upgrade the sounder in it.

Don't need a combo unit as I am happy to mark waypoints etc on my handheld Garmin (GPS62s). Been having a look at the local BCF's etc but am more confused then ever. A lot has changed in the last 10 years :-D

Have a budget of around $500 to $700. Any suggestions would be awesome and maybe the pros and cons etc

Thanks
Matt

JoshW

Re: New Sounder

Post by JoshW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:09 pm

For that price range I don't think you can look past the Lowrance Elite series. Easy to use, 2 scanning modes, great picture and easy to read screens. I have an elite 5x CHIRP and its been awesome, a massive upgrade on my Garmin 300c. Having the sonar and DSI side by side is so handy in deciding what is and isn't fish.

I find the 5 easy enough to read on the kayak, but on the boat the elite 7x might be a bit better for not much more than $700.

MattRC

Post by MattRC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

JoshW wrote:For that price range I don't think you can look past the Lowrance Elite series. Easy to use, 2 scanning modes, great picture and easy to read screens. I have an elite 5x CHIRP and its been awesome, a massive upgrade on my Garmin 300c. Having the sonar and DSI side by side is so handy in deciding what is and isn't fish.

I find the 5 easy enough to read on the kayak, but on the boat the elite 7x might be a bit better for not much more than $700.
Thanks mate. Will have a look at the 7x

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 pm

i have the elite 7 which is good, it does have the 2 scan modes which are useful as told and is good size to use, the hds gen 2 series are also good, I have found these better than the elite in my opinion. Also have a look at the raymarine brand, the dragonfly shows really clear and accurate scans and are easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Here fishy fishy.......

MattRC

Post by MattRC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:31 pm

aussie_fisho wrote:i have the elite 7 which is good, it does have the 2 scan modes which are useful as told and is good size to use, the hds gen 2 series are also good, I have found these better than the elite in my opinion. Also have a look at the raymarine brand, the dragonfly shows really clear and accurate scans and are easy to use once you get the hang of it.
The dragonfly 6 looks interesting.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome n nice boat.
I have the lowrance elite 4 n is a little small, would get 5 or 7 inch,garmin also have sounders in that price range.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

MattRC

Post by MattRC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks mate. The Garmin's seemed a little pricey in the equivalent size unless I'm looking at the wrong things.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 pm

New elite 7 chirp looks good to me.

I think frozenpod was saying that lowrance elite is oldest version and they upgraded with the chirp upgrade.

I was now thinking of getting the lowrance hdi model.
My last sounder is 4 inch and bit hard to see from back of the boat so defiantly get the 7 inch.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm

MattRC wrote:
JoshW wrote:For that price range I don't think you can look past the Lowrance Elite series. Easy to use, 2 scanning modes, great picture and easy to read screens. I have an elite 5x CHIRP and its been awesome, a massive upgrade on my Garmin 300c. Having the sonar and DSI side by side is so handy in deciding what is and isn't fish.

Thanks mate. Will have a look at the 7x
times 2
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Marine Electronics”