sounding up gummy sharks?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

sounding up gummy sharks?

Post by bowl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:34 pm

This is one for the gun fishos.
    I remember gun :dinner: fisho NUDE UP mention that he could sound up banjo sharks in a werribee thread .so is it possible to sound up gummy or sharks in general in ppb.
    In sick of e :bounce: ating reds so any input be tops
    To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Scraglor
    Has liked: 1 time

Re: sounding up gummy sharks?

Post by Scraglor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Haha bowl. Ive got the same problem at home. I had to go buy steaks cos the mrs is sick of eating snapper. I do love gummies, never tried sounding for them tho, best wait for nude up to respond. I did catch the biggest banjo ive ever seen yesterday tho. Probably could have sounded that one up

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:37 pm

No you cant...

Too hard to distinguish what is is. The only reason you can sound snapper is there is no other shape like them.

Gummies are always moving anyway so if you did manage to sound one, by the time you anchored and put rods in the water it'd be long gone.
    Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

ducky
    Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:41 pm

In ideal circumstances you would be able to sound them. I have seen plenty of sounder pics by gun fisho's claiming them as gummies. But I don't think it would be overly effective to sound and anchor for them like one does with snapper.

cobby
    Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Like ducky says, they can be sounded up, but no point as they NEED to continually move. Best off sounding feeding areas (mud, weedbeds, channels) that hold crabs, bass yabbys or where they pass through and waiting

Nude up
    Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:35 am

I think you miss read the thread bowl, barra mick was taking the p@ss out of me because I was catching so many banjos which are in plague proportion.
    I have caught plenty of gummies in westernport but not by sounding them but by sounding the bottom I always look for the edge of channels and fish right at the bottom of the edge. In ppb most of the gummies I have caught have been in 2 areas in the deep water near the radio call marker at the start of the corio bay shipping channel as a by catch when snapper/ flathead fishing, the other area is the channels around mud island using the same method as westernport sound the channel find the edge etc.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Nude up wrote:I think you miss read the thread bowl, barra mick was taking the p@ss out of me because I was catching so many banjos which are in plague proportion.
    I have caught plenty of gummies in westernport but not by sounding them but by sounding the bottom I always look for the edge of channels and fish right at the bottom of the edge. In ppb most of the gummies I have caught have been in 2 areas in the deep water near the radio call marker at the start of the corio bay shipping channel as a by catch when snapper/ flathead fishing, the other area is the channels around mud island using the same method as westernport sound the channel find the edge etc.
    Those 2 spots nude up mentions are NOT his secret spot! But I can confirm that he is the banjo master :rofl:
    Cheers
    The Tube

bowl
    Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey can you blokes give more idea of radio call marker ,think i is on the bend of the channel at portArlington area .
    To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up
    Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:20 pm

the orange single marker off portarlington prior to the start of the corio bay red green channel markers, i forgot to mention steampacket channel off portarlington i have caught good gummies there.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Nude up wrote:the orange single marker off portarlington prior to the start of the corio bay red green channel markers, i forgot to mention steampacket channel off portarlington i have caught good gummies there.
    i think you two should organize a trip :thumbsup:
    Cheers
    The Tube

Return to “Marine Electronics”