usa sounders

bayman

usa sounders

Post by bayman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of buying a sounder from USA? I have a family member going on a business trip and I was wondering if it worth the trouble getting one? I am looking at a budget under $400 any feedback will be much appreciated.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: usa sounders

Post by bowl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 am

Just remember reading about g.p.s mapping cards people having issues with getting aussie one from the usa.to buy buy a mapping card for a lowrance is a couple of hundred in bcf
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bayman

Post by bayman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:34 am

I was a bit worried about that that's why I was just looking at the fishfinder but am not sure if I would still be getting any technical support or any warranty from the maker.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am

Not sure,do remember threads on this subject...not sure on here or different forum..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bayman

Post by bayman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks bowl I will have a bit more of a look around the net

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:56 pm

I have purchased several sounders and charplotters from the usa. My first was a humminbird sounder back in the 90's I had it 4 years then it started to play up I sent it to qld for repair they rang me and said this is a usa bought sounder not a aussie one they could tell by the serial numbet. I explained I was working in the us and brought it back they repaired it for the standard fee but he told me in future they will only repair aussie bought ones not imports.
The next boat a bought a lowrance colour sounder and a garmin chart plotter deliverd for half the price than I could buy it here, knowing full well that if one of the units breaks the only place to get it repared under warranty would be in the states I run the risk I had them 8 years still going ok when I sold that boat.
It depends on how much you will save but you will not get any warranty support here as soon as they check the serial number they will tell you contact where you bought it make some enquries they will tell you.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:08 am

bayman wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of buying a sounder from USA? I have a family member going on a business trip and I was wondering if it worth the trouble getting one? I am looking at a budget under $400 any feedback will be much appreciated.

If I recall correctly Lowarance has put something in their sounders that creates a geo fence/boundary. That inhibits the sounder from working in other countries. Not sure about others.

bayman

Post by bayman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys I might just have to take a chance. At the moment am thinking of getting echo 551dv it's a good price over there.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Wolly bugger is correct just did a bit of googling and geofencing is on some models do a search of the net just to make sure

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I have bought a lowrance hds9 9 touch from the USA. Works fine here. Purchased about 2 years ago. No issues so far fingers crossed.

Return to “Marine Electronics”