suggestions on entry level fish finder

TONKA

suggestions on entry level fish finder

Post by TONKA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 pm

with my birthday coming up it looks like a good chance to get a new fishfinder for my 4m savage avalon. the only other fish finder Ive had was a crappy old black and white thing on my tinnie that seemed to be only good at reading the depth so anything will be a good upgrade :)
i'll probably have a budget of around $300 and im currently looking at the Lowrance elite 4x http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 1543#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. i dont think i'll need GPS as i dont get out that often and when i do it'll just be around werribee/point cook area

JoshW

Re: suggestions on entry level fish finder

Post by JoshW » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:23 pm

The garmin echo 300c are a good little unit. I use one at the monent and it seems to do the job. Can be had for around $250 from memory.

Ozzy

Post by Ozzy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:28 pm

My last boat I had the Garmin 300 C great little sounder , I went up to the Garmin 350 C in the boat I have now bigger screen and love it easy to use , bit more than you want to pay but they come on special for under 300 from time to time

Ozzy

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:30 pm

If you can stretch to $400, the lowrancs elite-5x HDI are bloody awesome.

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:48 pm

$400 will probably be a bit high. is any one brand considered better than the others?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:52 pm

I have the the elite 4x in my 4 meter boat and the screen is to small...whatever u get make sure its a round elite 5 size..i should bought the bigger humming bird instead of my elite 4 ...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Go the echo 300c, I have only heard good things about it and I have the 100 which is even good but seeing as you can afford a bit more go the 300 as it has a colour screen which makes sounding easier IMO.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:08 pm

bowl wrote:I have the the elite 4x in my 4 meter boat and the screen is to small...whatever u get make sure its a round elite 5 size..i should bought the bigger humming bird instead of my elite 4 ...

looks like the garmin 300c that everyone is suggesting has an even smaller screen than the lowrance elite 4x does anyone have issues with the screen size of their garmin 300c?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Id call bcf geelong as they had a sale on.display stock,not sure if the come with transducers..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Hey mate, if you're interested in a lowrance 4 hdi I have one that I'm considering selling. its never been out on the water. Bought it for a weekend away on a mates yak perching and couldn't install it cos the transducer hung down too low and I was fishing in less then a metre of water. Comes mounted to a waterproof box which has the battery and charger stored within. It cost me a touch over $300 all up including brand new battery and charger, I'd let it go for $220

Return to “Marine Electronics”