Foruno advice

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Foruno advice

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:17 pm

It is the narrow beam not the frequency that gives you the detail.
I would concur, giving Mark Reid (chopper) a call is a good idea as he is still working for Furuno. I am not, but I did for 25 years. My last few years I was east coast technical manager. I spent a lot of time with chopper.
I would say that many people that have used the 600w transducers and make an investment in the 1kw are initially disappointed. The reason is the narrower beam angles make all the mid water targets appear a lot smaller. However once they get used to it and learn to use the 50khz as well as the 200khz they are pretty impressed.
If you think of it this way. There are 3-4 fish in a bunch. With narrow beam as you pass over them the sounder picks up one then another and they show as individual echoes. If you pass over the same patch with a wide beam. First the front edge of the beam pings the first fish. Because you are not yet directly over it, it appears a little deeper. As you move fwd this fish is now underneath and appears a bit shallower, but another fish is in the outer edge of the beam so you get an echo from both, but one shows slightly deeper, This continues as you pass over the rest till the last fish is on the outer edge and shows deeper. Now you have a blobby arch with the fish blended into each other. Looks impressive but makes it difficult to distinguish between large individual fish and a patch of small fish.
A similar thing happens when you are working over structure. lets say 2-3, 1 meter high rocks are a meter apart with a nice 6 kg snapper between them. Wide beam you will see a rise in the bottom and a lot of tails on the sounder pic but basically one rock and no fish. If you ping it with a narrow beam you will see the rocks and possible the fish between them, you will get a good picture of the shape but very little tails under the bottom echo. This is better discussed with a white board and diagrams.
As regard the transom mount verses thru hull. Thru hull is neater and does not have the rooster tail issues of a transom mount, however if you used the tilt thru hull it is slightly less efficient. Other issue with thru hull is the large hole you will need to make in your vessel and it is not easy to move it if the location isn't working well. I can give you tips on how to establish a good location for thru hull but It would take a bit of time and I don't work for furuno these days. If you talk to Mark, tell him Mike Gilbert said g'day...
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

re-tyred wrote:It is the narrow beam not the frequency that gives you the detail.
I would concur, giving Mark Reid (chopper) a call is a good idea as he is still working for Furuno. I am not, but I did for 25 years. My last few years I was east coast technical manager. I spent a lot of time with chopper.
I would say that many people that have used the 600w transducers and make an investment in the 1kw are initially disappointed. The reason is the narrower beam angles make all the mid water targets appear a lot smaller. However once they get used to it and learn to use the 50khz as well as the 200khz they are pretty impressed.
If you think of it this way. There are 3-4 fish in a bunch. With narrow beam as you pass over them the sounder picks up one then another and they show as individual echoes. If you pass over the same patch with a wide beam. First the front edge of the beam pings the first fish. Because you are not yet directly over it, it appears a little deeper. As you move fwd this fish is now underneath and appears a bit shallower, but another fish is in the outer edge of the beam so you get an echo from both, but one shows slightly deeper, This continues as you pass over the rest till the last fish is on the outer edge and shows deeper. Now you have a blobby arch with the fish blended into each other. Looks impressive but makes it difficult to distinguish between large individual fish and a patch of small fish.
A similar thing happens when you are working over structure. lets say 2-3, 1 meter high rocks are a meter apart with a nice 6 kg snapper between them. Wide beam you will see a rise in the bottom and a lot of tails on the sounder pic but basically one rock and no fish. If you ping it with a narrow beam you will see the rocks and possible the fish between them, you will get a good picture of the shape but very little tails under the bottom echo. This is better discussed with a white board and diagrams.
As regard the transom mount verses thru hull. Thru hull is neater and does not have the rooster tail issues of a transom mount, however if you used the tilt thru hull it is slightly less efficient. Other issue with thru hull is the large hole you will need to make in your vessel and it is not easy to move it if the location isn't working well. I can give you tips on how to establish a good location for thru hull but It would take a bit of time and I don't work for furuno these days. If you talk to Mark, tell him Mike Gilbert said g'day...
Thanks retired I have sent him a message awaiting a reply. I like the sound of the b164 20 deg tilt. I was thinking of removing the p79 and the angled housing and using the same spot but am concerned the Haines has strakes that finish half way down the hull and could possibly aerate the Tx. My other option is a tm260 but it is very big

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Re-tyred that's legendary

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 pm

re-tyred wrote:It is the narrow beam not the frequency that gives you the detail.
Whilst very true the narrow beams plays a role you can get 200kHz with a wider beam and they still have more detail and less noise than 50kHz.

I am no doubt Chop will sort it out.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 pm

I got a reply from Mark his recommendation is a ss175wh which is a chirp transducer in hull for my foruno only in stainless steel but they are not cheap over $2300 I have until march next year to get one. I looked on reel time fishing charters website he is a big foruno advocate he had a video of him sounding with a clear screen at cruising speed.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 pm

I am kean to hear from any forum members who have this transducer installed and their thoughts

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 am

Nude up wrote:I am kean to hear from any forum members who have this transducer installed and their thoughts
I did a charter with Matt Cini and watched his sounder as we cruised around. He was running the 1kw transducer and I have to say the feedback on the screen was pretty impressive.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Quick update I have purchased a ss175wh transducer will pick up this week and fit soon hope to post picks when installed. As it's a through hull I will keep the p66 on the transom so I can swap plugs on the head unit at will for comparison.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Bought it off gumtree 1kw chirp
Attachments
IMG_0035.JPG
Last edited by Nude up on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Here is another view
Attachments
14914664904940.jpg
14914664904940.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

Return to “Marine Electronics”