trollbridge 24

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

trollbridge 24

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Has anybody used one of these in there boat.

Its popular in the states

It joins Two 12 volt batterirs to get 24 volts when the trolling motor is working and charges them off 12 volts

Appartantly you can use a combiner with the trollbridge unit and it isolates you starting battery from going flat.

I may not need vsr any more or maybe I should use both.

Its actually confusing to understand it all how it links in with other electronics

I would post the link but I couldnt figure out how.

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Marty.A

Re: trollbridge 24

Post by Marty.A » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:03 pm

barra mick wrote:Has anybody used one of these in there boat.

Its popular in the states

It joins Two 12 volt batterirs to get 24 volts when the trolling motor is working and charges them off 12 volts

Appartantly you can use a combiner with the trollbridge unit and it isolates you starting battery from going flat.

I may not need vsr any more or maybe I should use both.

Its actually confusing to understand it all how it links in with other electronics

I would post the link but I couldnt figure out how.

Cheers bm
This might help :thumbsup:

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks matty a

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm

I haven't used one. It looks like a pretty basic concept and circuit (but clever). I do not think it will isolate your starter battery from going flat if you only have 2 batteries as it says both batteries are in parallel and bidirectional current can flow when you are not using the trolling motor. If you had 3 batteries then you could have a separate start battery isolated from the house and trolling batteries using a VSR. That way, your start battery would charge first, then the VSR would come on and charge both house and troll motor in parallel. When not charging or trolling you have the troll and house battery in parallel to use like a single large capacity house battery and the start is protected from discharge by the VSR. When trolling, your start battery is still protected by the VSR, your house battery operates your lights, radios, etc as well as being half of the trolling motors 24v and the troll motor provides the other half of the 24v. In this case your trolling could still run down your house battery but not your start battery.

I haven't used one, I'm trying to understand it from the info provided and hope I'm helping clarify its operation.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm

By the way, I believe the "combiner" in the article is actually just another word for a VSR. I just read the FAQ on the unit and confirmed what I said in the previous post.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:53 pm

skronkman wrote:I haven't used one. It looks like a pretty basic concept and circuit (but clever). I do not think it will isolate your starter battery from going flat if you only have 2 batteries as it says both batteries are in parallel and bidirectional current can flow when you are not using the trolling motor. If you had 3 batteries then you could have a separate start battery isolated from the house and trolling batteries using a VSR. That way, your start battery would charge first, then the VSR would come on and charge both house and troll motor in parallel. When not charging or trolling you have the troll and house battery in parallel to use like a single large capacity house battery and the start is protected from discharge by the VSR. When trolling, your start battery is still protected by the VSR, your house battery operates your lights, radios, etc as well as being half of the trolling motors 24v and the troll motor provides the other half of the 24v. In this case your trolling could still run down your house battery but not your start battery.

I haven't used one, I'm trying to understand it from the info provided and hope I'm helping clarify its operation.
thanks mate

Ive read alot more since I wrote tge post.

what you said confirms what ive understood.

ive also spoken to a few serious fisherman and its a good weekend system but not for the week ir month trips out bush

Tbe combines are vsr units and short out after a few days use....guess thats why its only 200 bucks

Thanks for reading and throwing your advice in

will let you know how I go

Cheers bm

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:55 am

I'm not sure if your talking about the internal combining system inside the troll bridge that shorts out (that's a big problem with the design of the unit itself if it's the case) but if you are talking about the other component in the diagrams labelled as "combiner" then any old VSR can be used in its location. I had a VSR in my old boat that worked fine and never let me down, I think I only paid $50.

With both devices you must be sure not to go over their designed current limits but this is true for all electronic components. You could add a circuit breaker to prevent them from self destructing from this condition. If used within its design limits I don't see why they should burn out, especially given they have a "virtually unlimited warranty"! Haha.

There are circuits using battery switches to achieve the same thing manually if you can remember to switch over between charging and trolling. If you can find yourself a dual pole selector switch you could rig something like the below circuit.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... mrc&uact=8

Cheers

Return to “Marine Electronics”