Leden wrote:Hi guys just sold my boat and was wondering where would be a good start on land base I don't care how far to drive I live in south morang a lot of my mates are saying docklands is doing good on bream but I want something decent I don't mind whiting but no idea where to go I came back from kangaroo island and the whiting there unbelievable but any help will be great thanks guys
Hey mate, I go land based a lot at Flinders jetty and always do well. Species, setup and time of day as follows:
1. Leatherjacket: Fish very light, paternoster rig around the pylons right at the end of the jetty. Use Pipi or squid (small pieces). Daylight hours any time regardless of tide.
2. Mullet: Fish very light, either paternoster rig or under a float, same location and use small pieces of Pipi. Daylight hours on a rising tide sees them come right in.
3. Jack Mackerel: Light setup under a float, small size 6 hook. Use pilchard fillet and at night after 10pm. The schools come in and go absolutely berserk for a couple of hours until the seals get a wind of them and they disappear. Good fun to catch though and eat not bad, even better for bait.
4. Squid: If you put some time and effort in, there are some monster squid at Flinders. Under a bob float or cast and retrieve. Few hours either side of high tide is best.
5. Whiting: Heaps of whiting there also. Paternoster rig and cast out to nearby sand banks. Usual whiting fishing style and baits. I've also caught plenty of grass whiting there using worm style soft plastics.
Hope this helps! Have a safe and merry Christmas
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk