Searching for a fishing spot

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Searching for a fishing spot

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 pm

How do you search for a fishing spot?

Some fishermen will share the information amongst themselves, but not to outsiders, so how do you find out about fishing spots?

There are a number of methods, usually the local tackle store, and their fishing report can be useful.

Fishing reports in the paper and online.

There are a number of fishing guides, such as the Landbased Guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays.

Join a fishing club.

Or simply start exploring, visit known locations and look for locations that are less frequented although they are getting rarer to find. Look at maps or the internet pictures of the location.

Secondly you really need to define the type of fishing you wish to do and catch. Fishing for whiting usually involves a different technique to fishing for sharks or squid.

Thirdly, it is about being in the right spot at the right time. For example you can spend all day at Gunnamatta scoring donuts, then 5 minutes after you leave, other fisho's bag out when the school of salmon arrive.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Searching for a fishing spot

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Google maps is the single greatest invention ever, closely followed by this forum.

First I decide what my target species will be, let's say today it's squid. I've never caught a squid before, so i'm going to jump on youtube and type in something like "squid fishing melbourne". Oh LOOK! That beno guy who does the awesome salmon video's also does some squid ones. OK, so I need a couple of squid jigs which is easy enough, he's in the Mt Martha area but he's in a boat, I dont' have a boat! So i'll have a look at the mt martha section of the forum and also the squid section, find out what the go is. Here's a post from Nhillboy that says I can get whiting, pinkies and flathead off the rocks at Martha, and several different posts about squid. OK so jump on google maps, lets use the earth button and the street view to find out where a good spot might be. There is a bit of sand followed by reef straight off hearn road, that looks good!. Reading some more of Nhills posts, I might take a 10 foot surf rod, my 902 spin rod and my 7 foot ultra light spin rod. I can soak a pillie fillet on the big one, and either cast for salmon or squid with the other two.

^ That's pretty much how I started fishing Mt Martha, with quite a few PM's back and forth.

Gunnamatta was the same thing but with CarlG and FC talking me through the gearing process. Rod Bender has put me onto a few different trout spots. IMO once you're educated about which species goes where, Google Maps and a bit of friendly help on here is the best way.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:22 pm

DougieK wrote:Google maps is the single greatest invention ever, closely followed by this forum.

First I decide what my target species will be, let's say today it's squid. I've never caught a squid before, so i'm going to jump on youtube and type in something like "squid fishing melbourne". Oh LOOK! That beno guy who does the awesome salmon video's also does some squid ones. OK, so I need a couple of squid jigs which is easy enough, he's in the Mt Martha area but he's in a boat, I dont' have a boat! So i'll have a look at the mt martha section of the forum and also the squid section, find out what the go is. Here's a post from Nhillboy that says I can get whiting, pinkies and flathead off the rocks at Martha, and several different posts about squid. OK so jump on google maps, lets use the earth button and the street view to find out where a good spot might be. There is a bit of sand followed by reef straight off hearn road, that looks good!. Reading some more of Nhills posts, I might take a 10 foot surf rod, my 902 spin rod and my 7 foot ultra light spin rod. I can soak a pillie fillet on the big one, and either cast for salmon or squid with the other two.

^ That's pretty much how I started fishing Mt Martha, with quite a few PM's back and forth.

Gunnamatta was the same thing but with CarlG and FC talking me through the gearing process. Rod Bender has put me onto a few different trout spots. IMO once you're educated about which species goes where, Google Maps and a bit of friendly help on here is the best way.

I've done this whole process a few times, hence why i second that this forum is a great invention full of good people! Bit of research on your own and a bit of help from the experienced. Really good insight on how to prepare yourself when visiting a place.
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Fantastic description of how you locate spots. Can I recommend that a Mod copies all of this and every time a new fisherman comes on and asks tell me your spots and everyone **** cans them for not introducing themself first that perhaps this could be forwarded to them. It is really helpful.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

ive done the whole looking at fishing reports and talking to guys at tackle shops and still ended up getting vip so i just go to places i know from what my good mate says and end up getting a feed each time.

so sometimes it doesn't pan out

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 pm

I have detailed maps of the bay and wpb I work out the lat long enter in the gps and go and have a look, I also subscribe to quite a few fishing reports I keep them on file because they are a month old and I review previous years to get an idea of where I should have been doesn't always work

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:29 am

I speak to the local tackle shop or fishing reports.
The other option is explore new areas with mates, if we don't catch we can still enjoy the day by talking sh*t

RFish
Has liked: 1 time

Post by RFish » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 am

Anyone seen this? Could be interesting ...
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=9124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:How do you search for a fishing spot?

I think a lot about finding or seaching for a new spot or mark has more to do with knowing or learning about your target species
If you know the fishes feeding habits you can figure out where to fish - So exploring new grounds you are looking for places that your target species hold up or move through

Fishing reports may give you a guide to areas that are fishing well but you still need to have an idea what makes a good Mark
Structure - Mudflats - sand and weed patches and flow direction all make a difference

One of the things that I have found over the last few years of kayaking is that a lot of stuff I thought I new has be thrown out the window
ie -- almost everyone that chases Gummies by boat know that you go and find a productive area sit on a channel or drop off and wait soaking baits
now days I and a lot of my kayaking frends fish totaly different areas that are quite shallow , I've even parked up in 60 cm of water in the middle of the day and caught Gummies

We have caught good Snapper in not much more water

Knowing what your target fish feed on will help you figure where to find them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cammah34

Post by cammah34 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks for this post guys. This is really informative to a beginner like me!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”