Searching for a fishing spot

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Searching for a fishing spot

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Lake Leake Boy wrote:When river fishing, I look for a good fast section of water in to a good pool, or the calmer slower running side of the river. Most hold fish. MeppsTas has taught me alot! But when lake fishing, just cast anywhere really. lol
Lakes have hot spots, depending on the time of year and the weather. There are things called wind lanes,

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Basti wrote:
DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:Gunners took me two years to figure out .
It took you two years to figure out to cast at the water?
no it took him two to realise he's gotta wind it back in.

Killing me basti!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:16 am

DougieK wrote:Google maps is the single greatest invention ever, closely followed by this forum.

First I decide what my target species will be, let's say today it's squid. I've never caught a squid before, so i'm going to jump on youtube and type in something like "squid fishing melbourne". Oh LOOK! That beno guy who does the awesome salmon video's also does some squid ones. OK, so I need a couple of squid jigs which is easy enough, he's in the Mt Martha area but he's in a boat, I dont' have a boat! So i'll have a look at the mt martha section of the forum and also the squid section, find out what the go is. Here's a post from Nhillboy that says I can get whiting, pinkies and flathead off the rocks at Martha, and several different posts about squid. OK so jump on google maps, lets use the earth button and the street view to find out where a good spot might be. There is a bit of sand followed by reef straight off hearn road, that looks good!. Reading some more of Nhills posts, I might take a 10 foot surf rod, my 902 spin rod and my 7 foot ultra light spin rod. I can soak a pillie fillet on the big one, and either cast for salmon or squid with the other two.

^ That's pretty much how I started fishing Mt Martha, with quite a few PM's back and forth.

Gunnamatta was the same thing but with CarlG and FC talking me through the gearing process. Rod Bender has put me onto a few different trout spots. IMO once you're educated about which species goes where, Google Maps and a bit of friendly help on here is the best way.

I know this is an old thread/post but I came across looking at landbased fishing options and I have to say this is a cracking response to a question. It's pretty much what I do. Education is key I think. Education not only on the target species, but once you locate where you want to go, then educating yourself on the area also. Things like tide times, particular issues/hazards to be weary of, and anything else that may be of concern/useful.

The other thing I might add is, just get there and have a crack. If you're fishing a spot and not having any luck, go back, investigate, ask questions and try again. I fish 99% of the time from my kayak these days but when I started landbased fishing it took me about 6 or 7 trips out to catch my first fish because I had no idea what I was doing, going at the wrong times, wrong places for the wrong fish, etc. Each time I came back with a donut I investigated into WHY and learnt more each time til I caught eventually. From there it was just a constant phase of learning.

Very good reply though DougieK ! :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:42 pm

That's the slow way. Easier to just make an account here and in your first post ask which spot people catch the huge snapper at.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mpharris66

Post by mpharris66 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:54 am

Still a fairly old thread to post to, but, any feedback/suggestions on LB snapper locations around Inverloch, Cape Patterson way? (I need to get a boat....)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

Finding snapper landbased down there would be tough.

Pinkies can be caught inside of Andersons Inlet up at the eastern end around easter but I haven't seen any decent landbased snapper.

I would suggest looking at charts and looking for areas where it has a decent drop off to 10m plus close to land, ie rocky points.

mpharris66

Post by mpharris66 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 pm

frozenpod wrote:Finding snapper landbased down there would be tough.

Pinkies can be caught inside of Andersons Inlet up at the eastern end around easter but I haven't seen any decent landbased snapper.

I would suggest looking at charts and looking for areas where it has a decent drop off to 10m plus close to land, ie rocky points.
Thanks for that, I’ll certainly give the charts a look over.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 pm

mpharris66 wrote:Still a fairly old thread to post to, but, any feedback/suggestions on LB snapper locations around Inverloch, Cape Patterson way? (I need to get a boat....)
Better off trying off one of the western port area or off the rocks at the eastern entrance.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”