Spotlighting questions!!

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
andyk

Re: Spotlighting questions!!

Post by andyk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 am

Drifta-X wrote:Battery acid + salt water = chlorine gas

Danger Danger!!!!
It is best to use a sealed deep cycle battery .

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 am

With all the advice I got from you guys I headed out floundering for the first time on Monday night. I picked up a sealed lead acid battery from jaycar for $45 and it only weighs 2-3 kilo so you can chuck it in a backpack no problem. I'm only spotlighting for 2-3 hrs max so don't need the car battery

Saw octopus, squid, garfish(pencil size), rays, banjo sharks and plenty of small flounder and small flathead(biggest 20cm). Managed 6 flounder around(25-30cm) and left the squid and occy as I was solo and had no net.

Went out to a different spot on Tuesday night/wed morning and got 2 flounder and a nice blue spot. Can't wait till the weather is good for it again!

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 am

IMG_20161129_042429150.jpg
IMG_20161130_045016730.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 am

Very nice catch Shazz! It's addictive I know :rofl:
We have had amazing catches in the past. From memory I remember a night we had something like 14 good size flatties and 10 nice flounders, some pinkies, mullets gars :P
We are thinking of giving it another go maybe tonight :-D

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Lightningx wrote:Very nice catch Shazz! It's addictive I know :rofl:
We have had amazing catches in the past. From memory I remember a night we had something like 14 good size flatties and 10 nice flounders, some pinkies, mullets gars :P
That's an awesome haul!! Do you use berley? I was dropping berley pellets as i went and tried retracing my steps on my way back. Havent done it enough to prove if it works or not.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:34 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Very nice catch Shazz! It's addictive I know :rofl:
That's an awesome haul!! Do you use berley? I was dropping berley pellets as i went and tried retracing my steps on my way back. Havent done it enough to prove if it works or not.
I know some guys who burley but I have never once had to burley :thumbsup:
Which light do you use mate? I have used most kinds and am very happy with the one I'm using at the moment :P

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Im using a cheapo($20-30) halogen light I picked up from boxhill CA at one of their sales! Ive only used it twice but i thinking of upgrading and making my own light with cree LED and a portable battery pack like they have on head lamps so I can chuck it in my front waders pocket. Ive got a bazillion other things I need to do first but I'l probably start designing it soon haha.

What light and battery combo are you using?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:53 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Im using a cheapo($20-30) halogen light I picked up from boxhill CA at one of their sales! Ive only used it twice but i thinking of upgrading and making my own light with cree LED and a portable battery pack like they have on head lamps so I can chuck it in my front waders pocket. Ive got a bazillion other things I need to do first but I'l probably start designing it soon haha.

Haha I just put all that info up in my thread just then mate :thumbsup:

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Lightningx wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Im using a cheapo($20-30) halogen light I picked up from boxhill CA at one of their sales! Ive only used it twice but i thinking of upgrading and making my own light with cree LED and a portable battery pack like they have on head lamps so I can chuck it in my front waders pocket. Ive got a bazillion other things I need to do first but I'l probably start designing it soon haha.

Haha I just put all that info up in my thread just then mate :thumbsup:
cheers mate! :thumbsup: :-D

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 am

If you are making your own led light from scratch you can source materials from cutter.com.au they are Melb based so you can pick up also

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”