Spotlighting questions!!

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
shazdoggg

Spotlighting questions!!

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Ok so friday week is the new moon and Ive been meaning to test out a flounder spotlight for ages now(ive had it for over a yr). I bought it from CA boxhill and Im under the impression that I can hook it up to a motorcycle battery and chuck it in a plastic bag into a backpack?? I was advised to use this as the beam is brighter than using the flounder lights with AA batteries. Has anyone done this style of fishing before? Also wondering if fish caught using a hand held net or spear could be entered into the species comp? :)
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Spotlighting questions!!

Post by Brett » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Done it plenty of times, but not recently(plan on hitting the prawns, when we get back from QLD though)

A 12 gell cell, is is better than a motor bike battery, as it is sealed and won't leak acid in the back pack.

Best to go on a new moon or no moon at all, then the fish, prawns, don't get spooked by your shadow and bolt or bury themselves.

Bit the same as fishing though and can be hit and miss, with what you get.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:02 pm

I used to use an old car battery, in a milk crate, with a car inner tube around it for floatation. A rope tied from the crate around my waste, just long enough so the clips didn't come off the battery and leave me in the dark.

andyk

Post by andyk » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

And you need glass like conditions as ripples on the surface make it very hard to see , thoes lights with the aa batterys are usless not worth it .

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!! Keep them coming! Im definetly gonna try make up a floating device like you described brett! Sounds easier than lugging a battery on my back for miles. Will post a report when I get out!
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

How do you catch Flounder this way and where do you find them?
Thanks
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:35 pm

FishnMiss wrote:How do you catch Flounder this way and where do you find them?
Thanks
With a hand held spear.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Ok so friday week is the new moon and Ive been meaning to test out a flounder spotlight for ages now(ive had it for over a yr). I bought it from CA boxhill and Im under the impression that I can hook it up to a motorcycle battery and chuck it in a plastic bag into a backpack?? I was advised to use this as the beam is brighter than using the flounder lights with AA batteries. Has anyone done this style of fishing before? Also wondering if fish caught using a hand held net or spear could be entered into the species comp? :)
Hey mate. Rod and reel only is the rules. This means no dip netting, spearing, trout tickling or purchasing. Haha

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm

ducky wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Ok so friday week is the new moon and Ive been meaning to test out a flounder spotlight for ages now(ive had it for over a yr). I bought it from CA boxhill and Im under the impression that I can hook it up to a motorcycle battery and chuck it in a plastic bag into a backpack?? I was advised to use this as the beam is brighter than using the flounder lights with AA batteries. Has anyone done this style of fishing before? Also wondering if fish caught using a hand held net or spear could be entered into the species comp? :)
Hey mate. Rod and reel only is the rules. This means no dip netting, spearing, trout tickling or purchasing. Haha

Im glad you cleared that up before i started practising my trout tickling :rofl: Im just waiting for my transfer to clear into my paypal acct(just opened one up) before I send $ thru!
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Battery acid + salt water = chlorine gas

Danger Danger!!!!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”