Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Timi200

Re: Warmies Reports Here

Post by Timi200 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:51 pm

They didnt shop up last year

vanln

Post by vanln » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:54 pm

How do u know when the hot water is pumping at the warmies... Is there a schedule???

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:25 pm

vanln wrote:How do u know when the hot water is pumping at the warmies... Is there a schedule???
You can tell by the smoke that is coming out of the chimney. It was running on Tuesday.

stevce

Post by stevce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

hey guys, went last week with a mate, and there was nothing at all.... no wind water was calm and the only thing I could hear was those damn rats juming in and swimming to the other side......

any suggestions on what time, what bait??

thanks

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I went there on monday and arrived to see the power station pumping out smoke. In my mind I thought it was when they'll be pushing all the hot water. Unfortunately didnt have a single bite. All baits were untouched. Even fishos nexts to me caught doughnuts after 6 hours. Was there from 10-3pm

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Had a fish on Friday from 2pm untill 6pm. (Not warmies but the main channel behind the power station). I've been reading the reports on here and thought I'd give it a stab. Stayed for the 4 hours (high tide was at 3.30pm) but unfortunatly caught donuts! Was using pillies, not even a nible.. Better luck next time I guess!

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Warmies was on and off, went for a quick flick last week didn't even get a nibble. Oh well thats fishing.

Irish5578

Post by Irish5578 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I went to the warmies Thursday fstarted fishing at 7pm low tide at was at 9pm stayed to 1am had a big run at 12 mid nite but that's all would like to think it was a jewie but don't know
14th of feh should be ok for gummy with the full moon

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 am

20 years ago my father and I would fish here regularly. We used to go out as far as possible along the rock wall. A few fish here and there, mainly bream, trevally and the odd mullet.
Then one day we stumbled upon a school of bream and with one bag of prawns we nailed 13 bream and a mullet. We only left because we lost the daylight and ran out of prawns :)

One day, myself and a few friends decided to go to Cunningham pier in Geelong. 3 hours and nothing was happening. We only caught one fish so decided to pull up and leave. On the way home we gave the warmies a crack. It was the busiest i've ever seen it. The back of the power station was so busy we had to "convince" a couple of people to move over and make some room for us.
Once the lines were in the water I decided to chat to everyone else to see if the fish were biting. "Nothing, not even a nibble" was the general consensus.
I then spot two tug boats heading out to pilot in a container ship. I returned to the car and retrieved my surf rod. I figured that if I can cast into the channel, the ship should stir up the bottom. A 4oz star sinker on a wire rig, a full pilchard tied to a set of 3 ganged hooks and "whooshka" the cast of the century, it landed in the middle of the channel.
5 minutes after the ship passed I get a hit. It starts to run and stops, it did this at least three times then nothing, dead as a doornail. So I concluded that it was a large flatty playing dead. Wrong!!! After what seemed to be 2-3 minutes, I get it to the surface and it is a Port Jackson shark about 2 foot long. It didn't put up much of a fight but it sure as hell made up for it when it was cooked :)
Not too long after that I lost the passion.

Fast forward 20 years and a few weeks ago, I got the itch again. Bought a reel off Gumtree, bolted it to my old rod and then bought another rod/reel from Gumtree.
I had them all spooled with braid and the bug has bitten hard :)

So yeah, how's that for a first post?!?!?! and I haven't even told you my name :)

Vic
A shitzu is a zoo with no animals :D

paulmorris27

Post by paulmorris27 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi All – new to fishing here in Melbourne (originally a kiwi and mainly fished from a boat), and moved just a couple of km’s away from the warmies.

Just wondering if you could share some guidance on what type of rig – trace length / hook size / sinker weight and setup would be best for the warmies and the channel – plan on softbaiting mainly and occasionally giving real bait a blast. Would be mainly interested in snapper, and am fishing with a 7 ft rod.

Appreciate any help!!

Thanks
Paul

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”