are snapper still around in port phillip bay

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
jt2k

are snapper still around in port phillip bay

Post by jt2k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 pm

hey guys im heading out fishing this thursday+friday probably around mid morning till arvo was thinking of heading out to Mornington but was just wondering if there is still snapper out around there, if not are there any other areas around Mornington that you guys would recommend, if its too late for snapper then what else would be a wise target, was thinking of trying out ballooning but i think there is hardly any wind on them days! :(

Beno

Re: are snapper still around in port phillip bay

Post by Beno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 pm

There are still a few their but not many, if I was you I would be targeting other species. Squid is an option got our bag 2 weeks ago.
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jt2k

Post by jt2k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm

yeah i was thinking that i would be too late now! got back into fishing at the wrong time! 2nd option is actually KGW is mornington well known for them? wouldn't mind heading out to western port, but don't know any good areas to go to

Fahro

Post by Fahro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am

I would've thought there is still plenty ofof them in the bay, but they're off the chew because they're breeding. And to my knowledge they get back on the chew once they're done breeding which should be around end of Feb and Marhc?? Is this ideology correct lol?

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

From what I understand, some Snapper stay in the bay all year round but the majority do below...

When the water reaches about 16 degrees (Sept/Oct) they head into the bay when it gets to 19 degrees or so they start to head out of the bay into the cooler ocean, when the temp comes back down to 19 degrees (March/April) that head back into the bay again.

I could be wrong.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm

i caught about 15 pinkies off rafe basee point cook on monday biggest was 33 cm so little buggers
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”