WP - landbased

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Mick.S

WP - landbased

Post by Mick.S » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:44 am

Hi

Was wondering if some you can tell me bit more about pt leo, marricks, somers at WP, in particular things such as:
1. Are those beaches fishable at low tide?
2. How reefy/snaggy are they? I have looked at google maps and the area looks very reefy, other then few spots where it seems sandy out in the water.

I have never fished WP, and want to give it a go in the coming days, so just after some advice.
Thanks

MattypVic

Re: WP - landbased

Post by MattypVic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 am

Haven't fished point Leo but merricks, Somers, balnarring are all fishable at low tide. The weed can be a pain sometimes but usually not a problem. viewtopic.php?f=132&t=1556&hilit=Balnarring Some great info on the area worth a read

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:11 am

It depends what you want to catch.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 am

In regards to what I want to target, I usually fish one light rod, i.e whiting set up and another outfit is more heavier with bigger hooks and bait. As I fish into the night I then re-rig the lighter outfit and start to put bigger baits out in hope of catching some bigger fish.

I will make my way down and do some exploring. Thanks for the advice.

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Mick, I have a mate who has a fish at Balnarring and Merricks. He uses 2 rods, one set up for whiting and one surf rod set up for gummy. He usually targets high tide, calm to moderate wind conditions. Fishing sessions mainly between 9pm to 3am (full moon a bonus). You don't get many KGW, 2-4 but they are big. He is trying to get me down there for a fish but one day i will give it a go. Good luck... :cheers:

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am

There is only one way to find out :water:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 am

If you're fishing in close, for whiting/flathead etc, then low tide is fine. If you're launching big baits out for sharks, low tide can be a pain in the rear, due to the weed(it's like wire) and reef, that is a lot easier to reach at low tide.

Best option, is to go down there with some reasonable polaroid glasses on a sunny day and take note of the layout and fish accordingly.
This time of year there's usually a few other fishos down there, take note of where they are and you will soon work out the productive areas.(unless I'm there, cause I'll just lead you up the garden path lol)

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 am

Appreciate the help guys. Will report back once I manage to get out and about. In the meantime...:cheers:

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”