Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Guess you'll always find a loophole to go & wet a line, but it's not a good look....we all need to do our bit, just stay at home

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Can't see how poking along a quiet river by yourself is going against the spirit or intent of anything. Personally, I think the cure is worse than the disease and destroying our economy and people's lives will result in more deaths than the virus. With the drought, fires and floods we were already close to the cliff out in the country.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm

I think the intent is to stop the spread
If for instance I decided to go to Barmah
Fill up at a servo in H/Xing & contract the virus from the attendant
Stop a Wallan service centre for a feed & they get it off me
Stop a Nagambie for some bait & food & they get it off me
Top up fuel at Shepparton & again they get it off me
Get my NSW fishing license in Barmah & now They have it.
YES there are ways to avoid all this, but, not everybody has commonsense
Cheers Gra

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm

This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm

5 MARCH 2020

Dear Members and Online Supporters,

We are all facing an unprecedented time in our generation as our way of life is turned upside down by the Covid-19 pandemic. Preventing the spread of Covid-19 and saving lives of Victorians takes precedence over everything else, including fishing.

It is everyone’s responsibility to play their part – our civic duty, to prevent the spread of the virus, to protect ALL Victorians and taking sacrifices for our health workers.

We have heard from both the Prime Minister, Scott Morrison last night and the Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews this morning a very clear message. If you can stay at home, you must stay home.

You are able to exercise. There is not a list to tell us what exercise is, and what is not exercise. This will vary with each individual’s personal judgement. The key principle is, we must strictly limit our time away from the home and strictly practice social distancing.

To be clear, in order to play our part in preventing the spread of Coronavirus and to save lives, we have been asked to:

Stay home where possible to minimise social interactions.
Maintain social distancing of 1.5 metres from other people
Avoid non-essential travel
Cancel your school holiday travel plans
Follow all Government advice and guidelines relating to Covid-19, including personal hygiene – and keep up to date as information changes through www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au and https://www.health.gov.au/
We know many fishers have decided to stay home and play their part. We commend them for doing so. They have big plans to clean up their tackle boxes, service their fishing reels and boats, sorting their fishing photos for bragging rights with their mates, putting their feet up reading fishing magazines and continuing to purchase fishing supplies from businesses that support fishing – albeit mainly online.

We know many of you were quick to make the necessary decisions to postpone fishing competitions and events. If you haven’t already, postpone all fishing competitions and events.

We all know fishing can play an important and demonstrated health and wellbeing function. Today, there is not a definitive list defining what exercise is, and whether fishing is exercise. This has been left up to each individual to use their common-sense, sound judgement and take personal sacrifices to our way of life to stop the spread of the virus, including staying home.

It would be irresponsible for us to encourage you to go fishing or even be in a position to say it’s okay to go fishing, but we know many fishers are looking for guidance. There will be individuals that consider fishing is a form of exercise that can be undertaken with strict social distancing. Let’s be clear. If you do not act in the best of everyone in our community and flout the opportunity to make personal choices, this discretion will be swiftly and decisively taken away. In practical terms, this means:

Fish locally only, near where you live.
Strictly minimise your time away from home.
Fish with your direct household members. (No mates or extended family).
Travel directly to and from your home to prevent any social interactions.
Do not congregate or gather in groups – pay particular attention around jetties, piers, boat ramps and land-based fishing locations. This will be enforced.
If social distancing cannot be maintained – return home.
Wash your hands with soap or hand sanitiser before entering your house, or directly upon your return
Australia is using a staged approach to introducing restrictions. Here in Victoria we are at a critical time where we must stop the spread of the virus and flatten the curve. If we are asked by Government to stop fishing, we will support such a decision unequivocally and we know you will do the same in order to save lives and support our health workers.

Remember our fish will still be there. They will be bigger. There will be more fish. When we get through this together, we will have time to catch up on any missed fishing opportunities, particularly with our mates and extended family. Think how organised our tackle boxes and boats will be to launch back into fishing when this crisis is over.

Please stay safe, look after your loved ones and play your part.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm

Kenle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

If you see a spaceman in a suit with airtanks on a pier somewhere flicking a plastic out, it would be me so just wave :wt:
Space 1.JPG

I might take a leaf out of your Space Manual Kenle

Space 2.JPG

Cheers, Bug Armstrong

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm
Kenle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

If you see a spaceman in a suit with airtanks on a pier somewhere flicking a plastic out, it would be me so just wave :wt:

Space 1.JPG

I might take a leaf out of your Space Manual Kenle

Space 2.JPG

Cheers, Bug Armstrong

Hahahaha, good laughs bugs
On a serious note, I can't go fishing knowing that there's so many friends and family needing my help. It is best to attend to the more urgent matter concerning this virus, I am sure we will flood the forum with some good fishing reports once this blows over. Hang in there everyone :ch:

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:32 pm

The Health minister and government are not opposed to people getting out and exercising as long as people adhere to the recommendations.
Should you feel guilty going fishing - Absolutely not, unless you are not observing social distancing, washing hands etc.
The ramifications of a total lockdown are huge and the Government's and health experts understand also the dynamics on individuals mental health when strict isolation is imposed.
Gatherings of any sort should be avoided as best as possible.
If anybody tells me I can't go fishing then they need their head read.
I work in essential services with roughly 150 people in our open office area (& that's just one office in our building).
We try our best to observe the protocols but without us hundreds of thousands of Australians will suffer.We work long hours and cop a fair bit of abuse from the general public.
When I go out in my Kayak to fish, I generally go solo and cover anything from 6Km's to 25Km on a trip. I need the exercise and fresh air that re-energises me.
If I catch fresh fish I know I'm getting good Omega 3 and nutrition knowing where my food comes from.
If I needed to go to a servo I can simply fill up, tap n go with no contact with anyone.
If you do see someone and chat to them, it's really easy to remember to keep the 2m distance (I know they recommend 1.5 but some fishos aren't too good at measurements based on what size fish they say they caught
 ).
I have no intentions of doing gatherings, home entertaining etc but I need my fishing which is now down to once or twice a month.
I'm fully aware of what viruses/Diseases can do from the bubonic plagues to Spanish flu, Ebola, SARS, MERS and more.
As much as this is a horrific bug and I don't wish to minimize the threat but, lets remember how many people die annually from seasonal flu, Cancer, Starvation & murder.
Go fishing but please follow the health experts guidelines.
Thanks.
Edit- If the authorities say we all have to go into total isolation/lockdown then I will agree with them. I'm in no way advocating a "don't care" attitude or a "Stuff you" attitude.
I am also working with another group to be on call to go and assist those people who are at risk such as the elderley, disabled or sick, so they do not need to go it while taking appropriate precautions.
Due to my work, I have to make sure daily I and others are maintaining the recommended distances etc and that we are all healthy. If any feels unwell they are sent home immediately, if they have a sniff or cough, they are sent home and need clearance to return to work.
Last edited by FishnMiss on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 pm

I will be fishing solo now with no contact with anybody.
Hook up boat,down ramp,go fushin,retreive boat ,back home then clean catch at home.
At no time do I get anywhere near others.
I also dont feel guilty

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 am

Texas wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm
I think the intent is to stop the spread
If for instance I decided to go to Barmah
Fill up at a servo in H/Xing & contract the virus from the attendant
Stop a Wallan service centre for a feed & they get it off me
Stop a Nagambie for some bait & food & they get it off me
Top up fuel at Shepparton & again they get it off me
Get my NSW fishing license in Barmah & now They have it.
YES there are ways to avoid all this, but, not everybody has commonsense
Cheers Gra
This is good common sense Texas. It seems simple but a lot of people don't think like you do and really they should be because social distancing will have this pandemic over sooner rather than later.

*Tap your card at the pump so you don't have to go into the servo.
*make food from home so you don't need to stop for a feed.
*Dig up your own worms or set a shrimp net so you don't have to go in and buy bait.
*Get your license off the internet and screen shot it so you have it on your phone.

With everything that's happening people need a bit of normality. I'm all for going out for a fish, run, walk, hike, but people need to keep away from each other.

I'm actually really disappointed with how a lot of society is acting. Like a big bunch of spoilt brats.. My grandparents were hunkered down for who knows how long during war times eating nothing but bread and drinking water not actually knowing if they were going to survive or not.
Meanwhile you have idiots these days not even a week in breaking down because they can't handle it.

This isn't going to be forever and the quicker we as a community do what we need to do the quicker everything will go back to how it was.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”