Fishing Patto

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Rels
Has liked: 2 times

Fishing Patto

Post by Rels » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 am

I’m hopefully putting in 1.5 hours Tuesday to Friday after arvo shift to see if I can land a Mulloway. I have put in quite a few hours over the last month and a half with nothing to show for my efforts, mostly throwing around paddle tail SP’s. I am a little restricted for time during the day with young children, but may head down to Warneet tomorrow and Wednesday to try and get some mullet and see if I can keep them alive until I finish work. If that fails I’ll be heading to the local fisho for some fresh squid hoods and maybe some prawns. Tides are looking in my favor so I should be fishing the last of the run in tide. I’m going to try and fish three rods, basically one with a running sinker to swivel then 600mm to twin snelled hooks, a paternoster rig with one dropper about 600mm long with double snell, and a soft plastic to throw around while they soak. If I manage to get some mullet I will probably change the snell’s for a single hook. I have three possible locations where I will fish, and must admit I’m not extremely confident after the hours spent in the cold. But hey, I have more chance with a line in the water. Be ready for reports of doughnuts, and I doubt anyone will have any tips they want to share for this specific spot, but if you do that would be amazing. Honestly I have done so much reading and watched so many videos, I have taken little pieces from here and there, but I think the best lessons so far are what actually isn’t working and what I’m observing while fishing. I am starting to wonder why I chose to target Mulloway, but I am persistent and will pull one out of the water some day.
Anyway, wish me luck legends I’m going to need it...

Rels

Re: Fishing Patto

Post by Rels » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 am

Oh, also has anyone had any luck with using a garfish fillet for bait? If so I may stop at one of the piers tonight and see if I can pull a few out of the water.
Cheers.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Best of luck :) just try and keep it simple and dont stress.
You do your best and hope the fish do the rest :)
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Good luck mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Hope you get that mulloway mate!!!
Good luck :thumbsup:

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Rels wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 am
I’m hopefully putting in 1.5 hours Tuesday to Friday after arvo shift to see if I can land a Mulloway. I have put in quite a few hours over the last month and a half with nothing to show for my efforts, mostly throwing around paddle tail SP’s. I am a little restricted for time during the day with young children, but may head down to Warneet tomorrow and Wednesday to try and get some mullet and see if I can keep them alive until I finish work. If that fails I’ll be heading to the local fisho for some fresh squid hoods and maybe some prawns. Tides are looking in my favor so I should be fishing the last of the run in tide. I’m going to try and fish three rods, basically one with a running sinker to swivel then 600mm to twin snelled hooks, a paternoster rig with one dropper about 600mm long with double snell, and a soft plastic to throw around while they soak. If I manage to get some mullet I will probably change the snell’s for a single hook. I have three possible locations where I will fish, and must admit I’m not extremely confident after the hours spent in the cold. But hey, I have more chance with a line in the water. Be ready for reports of doughnuts, and I doubt anyone will have any tips they want to share for this specific spot, but if you do that would be amazing. Honestly I have done so much reading and watched so many videos, I have taken little pieces from here and there, but I think the best lessons so far are what actually isn’t working and what I’m observing while fishing. I am starting to wonder why I chose to target Mulloway, but I am persistent and will pull one out of the water some day.
Anyway, wish me luck legends I’m going to need it...
Probably get mullet in patto

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:29 pm

patto jews are tough... fish the Yarra ;-)

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 am

I know a handful of guys who are very dedicated to catching Patto Mulloway and have it down to an art. They are strictly catch and release and are rather protective of their methods though. They don't share any secrets but they do use live mullet, freshly caught in the river as bait since that is what the fish are hunting - they aren't swimming up the river chasing squid or chunks of pilchard.

Mullet are easy to catch if you go right up to the shallows where the river goes under the freeway, you can park on Wells Rd. Throw some fine berley in the current and they will come, either trap them or catch them with a light spin rod.

Rels

Post by Rels » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks Aaron,
That is exactly the sort of tip I’m looking for. I might head down there tomorrow morning after dropping the little one off at daycare and see if I can get some live bait for tomorrow night.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:28 pm

G99d luck mate

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”