The Marby at....Marby.

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

The Marby at....Marby.

Post by April Fool » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi peoples
At some point I will be meeting up with a mate to fish the river somewhere along Chifley Dve. Just wondering what to expect? He knows the area well but hasn't fished it for a while.

I am not a fan of buying bait and will take some small freshwater yabbies. Are there any baitfish or crusteceans that can readily be caught there?

I assume it is worth while throwing plastics around if the water isn't too dirty? How big a plastic can be used (any monsters lurking in there?).

It will be a while before I can go so if time drags on and the colder months arrive, is it still worth going?

Last but not least, he said it is 'tidal' there so does that mean one has to do some planning if one wants to catch a saltwater fish. Obvious thing to do would be to go to the bay but both of us need easy access and it is a social visit so we will stick with this spot for now as it is convenient. I will check out some of the threads on the forum as well.
Thanks in advance.
Team Bender
Starting to move out of my comfort zone!!!!

j_pap

Re: The Marby at....Marby.

Post by j_pap » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:38 pm

April Fool wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm
Hi peoples
At some point I will be meeting up with a mate to fish the river somewhere along Chifley Dve. Just wondering what to expect? He knows the area well but hasn't fished it for a while.

I am not a fan of buying bait and will take some small freshwater yabbies. Are there any baitfish or crusteceans that can readily be caught there?

I assume it is worth while throwing plastics around if the water isn't too dirty? How big a plastic can be used (any monsters lurking in there?).

It will be a while before I can go so if time drags on and the colder months arrive, is it still worth going?

Last but not least, he said it is 'tidal' there so does that mean one has to do some planning if one wants to catch a saltwater fish. Obvious thing to do would be to go to the bay but both of us need easy access and it is a social visit so we will stick with this spot for now as it is convenient. I will check out some of the threads on the forum as well.
Thanks in advance.
Team Bender
Starting to move out of my comfort zone!!!!
Wouldnt’t have a clue about the nong. You gonna fish salt water while in melb?

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:04 pm

At low tide you can pick up small mussels and they are good bait for bream. Try around the bridges near to where you are. It may be against your prerogative but aldi in Maribyrnong has cheap prawns too. When the water is dirty lures are borderline useless I reckon. Also garden worms can do ok in that situation.
Just my thoughts. Others on this forum know more than me.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Tidal means the water 'moves' with the tide and not just water downstream current. You'll find mostly breams there and they come bite during tide change. Fish around bridges or pylons or close to the rock bank.

If the water is dirty from a rain, scrub worm is a good bait. If the water is clean and clear, peeled raw prawn should do. Use running sinker with thinnest and smallest sinker possible, and nibble tip rod. Size #4 hook or #2

Cranka crab and zman grub or pumpkin seed gulp worm work too with 1/16 or 1/24 #1, but the breams can be hard to hook. They tap fast and let go pretty quick before we get time to strike. Also, pretty snaggy near the rocks, prepare to lose a rig or two.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies.
@ j_pap...this is the only place I will fish on the day. More of a social day and a fish will be a bonus.

@ benders...if I have to buy bait I will. If I can't get worms and yabbies I will have no choice.
Cheers
Jim

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks for the replies.
@ j_pap...this is the only place I will fish on the day. More of a social day and a fish will be a bonus.

@ benders...if I have to buy bait I will. If I can't get worms and yabbies I will have no choice.
Cheers
Jim

If u can collect crabs as bait at low tide, its stellar bait.
alternatively, free weighted bread works on the brim too
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm
I would struggle on the flats at low tide. I will likely time my session during high tide as I guess it will be easier to fish in regards to access?
Cheers
Jim

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 am

April Fool wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 am
smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm
I would struggle on the flats at low tide. I will likely time my session during high tide as I guess it will be easier to fish in regards to access?
Cheers
Jim
Jim , yes! the bream are always about when the tide is up. Just find a bridge or some pylons and fish unweighted prawn or bread on a light leader . They are quite shy. Burley with tuna oil+ breadcrumbs to get em going
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”