Bait, Burley and Fluorocarbon?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Bait, Burley and Fluorocarbon?

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Another reason fresh bait is better is it holds its form better and therefore stays on your hook longer. Bloody hate crappy Pillies and worse pippies, they fall off your hook acc soon as you hit the water.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm

my take on bait i buy from my local tackle shop he has a freezer at the back of the shop no fancy see through glass top just say 2kg pillys done deal they work well now go into a bcf or anaconda have a look in there bait freezer nice glass see through top but 80% of the time the doors are open because anybody has access to the freezer and the bait looks crap all iced over

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Yellow line is useless in shallow water. I tested it with dad on salmon using bait, the clear line was catching them non stop, yellow line never got touched even after a few bait changes. Switched the same rod over to another reel and instant fish on.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm

dazz999 wrote:my take on bait i buy from my local tackle shop he has a freezer at the back of the shop no fancy see through glass top just say 2kg pillys done deal they work well now go into a bcf or anaconda have a look in there bait freezer nice glass see through top but 80% of the time the doors are open because anybody has access to the freezer and the bait looks crap all iced over
Yea I know the ones you are talking about mate!
Hate them as well.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 pm

eddyt wrote:Yellow line is useless in shallow water. I tested it with dad on salmon using bait, the clear line was catching them non stop, yellow line never got touched even after a few bait changes. Switched the same rod over to another reel and instant fish on.
Are you talking about yellow braid mate?

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 pm

ChristianGoneFishing wrote:Another reason fresh bait is better is it holds its form better and therefore stays on your hook longer. Bloody hate crappy Pillies and worse pippies, they fall off your hook acc soon as you hit the water.
Bait elastic, never leave home without it.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Lightningx wrote:
eddyt wrote:Yellow line is useless in shallow water. I tested it with dad on salmon using bait, the clear line was catching them non stop, yellow line never got touched even after a few bait changes. Switched the same rod over to another reel and instant fish on.
Nah mate the bright yellow leader/mono. I've never thought it would be a problem until that time. Never touched yellow line since.

Braid any colour is ok because you will always have a leader

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Main thing is to have the moon behind you, everything else is irrelevant.

Don't use burley enough to comment there but have found fresh baits are more effective than old stuff.
As for leader material I'm starting to use it more on their other properties rather than supposed visibility. Still have a preference for fluoro but it's not for every situation.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm

eddyt wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Nah mate the bright yellow leader/mono. I've never thought it would be a problem until that time. Never touched yellow line since.

Braid any colour is ok because you will always have a leader
Ah yea that makes more sense now!
Cheers.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”