Quick report and some advice needed

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Quick report and some advice needed

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 pm

rb85 wrote: My advice to you would be to go to a tackle shop near where your going to take the young fella get them to show you a few rigs, tips, techniques and best times be a sponge absorb that info then implement it. May cost you a little purchasing line, hooks, burley, bait etc but will help you on your way.
You can learn much more on this site than any tackle shop trying to sell their own stuff and inflated egos. This bloke wants his son to catch a fish 8 year olds lose interest pretty quick if nothing much is happening. A paternoster rig with 10lb line and whitebait or cut up banana prawns from the supermarket will attract plenty of different species.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks Boonanza, thats all I want is for him to get on to a fish or two this school holidays. I try to avoid piers due to crowds especially at this time of the year that's why I mainly stick to surf and rock fishing.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:16 am

Boonanza wrote:
rb85 wrote: My advice to you would be to go to a tackle shop near where your going to take the young fella get them to show you a few rigs, tips, techniques and best times be a sponge absorb that info then implement it. May cost you a little purchasing line, hooks, burley, bait etc but will help you on your way.
You can learn much more on this site than any tackle shop trying to sell their own stuff and inflated egos. This bloke wants his son to catch a fish 8 year olds lose interest pretty quick if nothing much is happening. A paternoster rig with 10lb line and whitebait or cut up banana prawns from the supermarket will attract plenty of different species.
A tackle shop wouldn’t exist if they didn’t sell their own stuff. Don’t know how much experience this bloke has but a decent shop will have staff teach them how to tie rigs explain the basics sometimes first hand teaching is better than reading.

Don’t think every tackle shop is a bunch of egos.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 am

KeenAds wrote:
bowl wrote:Sheepwash Rd Barwon , toilets n plenty of shaded areas
Thanks bowl.
Will the standard 2 hook paternosta rig be ok or should I be using something different? Also for bait, pipies, blue bait and squid are my usual is that ok or shoukd I use something different?
I recommend that place as well. Last time I was there got couple of 40 cm + trevs, plenty of juvenile salmons and mullet for the kids to have some fun with. Paternoster with pippies and bluebait worked fine :thumbsup:

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:19 am

Cheers Lx

Rb85 I have been fishing for about 30 years mostly from a boat though however after my father got sick and passed away the boat was sold so for the last 10 years I have been land based so I have a good understanding of most things. I know that land based is tough and more often than not you will get donuts but I am just trying to get the young bloke on to a fish.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am

KeenAds wrote:Cheers Lx

Rb85 I have been fishing for about 30 years mostly from a boat though however after my father got sick and passed away the boat was sold so for the last 10 years I have been land based so I have a good understanding of most things. I know that land based is tough and more often than not you will get donuts but I am just trying to get the young bloke on to a fish.
No drama KeenAds it’s hard to gauge someone’s knowledge and experience here.

From time to time there’s a lot of small bream in the rivers around the Gippsland lakes area if you have time to take the young man up there the local prawn and sand worm will do the trick on a small running sinker rig.

More locally if you just want any fish perhaps try a local creek or river such as the Barwon or Patto burley hard using a bread crumb and tuna mix should be able to pick up gars, mullet, juvenile salmon etc and the chance of a bigger fish coming along.

I’m not from Melbourne so don’t fish the areas mentioned hope this helps.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 am

Werribee south breakwall isn’t bad for land based. Inside and outside is worth a shot. If that’s too blowy just go down to the river.

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Good luck to you & your young bloke KeenAds there's nothing better than seeing the smile on your kids face outfishing their old man :thumbsup:

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Boonanza wrote:Good luck to you & your young bloke KeenAds there's nothing better than seeing the smile on your kids face outfishing their old man :thumbsup:
Cheers mate.

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm

This is what it's about :-D
Attachments
18301446_1429263793815753_4504694629583691183_n.jpg

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”