Land based suggestions?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Land based suggestions?

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 am

Been 3 weeks since I've been able to wet a line due to work, crappy weather and Christmas. Friday night might be my only chance and unfortunately the weather is looking too **** for taking the boat out which limits me to LB. Not a massive LB fisherman, when I go it's usually just to the 90 mile or to the jetty to collect bait... Can anyone recommend any half decent players thats an easy stroll, as I will be taking my girlfriend and our young hound. Del Ray is usually my go-to for ease of practicality, but with a 10+ knot easterly picking up in the afternoon it is probably a no-go.

I kind of feel like catching whiting anyhow, and any other small bait fish in good numbers would keep my girlfriend entertained. Somewhere we are also able to light a fire would be a bonus. What is Anderson's inlet / Venus bay type area like for this?

Kimtown

Re: Land based suggestions?

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:47 am

Oh yeah I forgot to add I'm located in Warragul, so willing to drive just about anywhere between Melbourne and the 90 mile.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:59 am

A quick Google maps search trying to find some decent looking beaches that are easily accessible and Bore Beach looks like a nice surf fishing destination. Then there is a dog friendly beach in San Remo itself where I know there is squid and probably Whiting too.

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 am

Are you guys camping? If so 90 mile beach is the go. Weed is still a problem there though.
Anderson’s inlet has been fishing well for pinkies,trevs, flatties and if you are lucky whiting. Only spot I can recommend there is close to Pensioner’s point. Maher’s Landing and Doyle’s road are good spots but very muddy since you need to wade in to fish the channel.
Shallow inlet and Walkerville are beautiful spots for whiting and kid friendly. Warratah bay and Sandy Point also there, with a nice beach for a swim and fishing. There is a little spot at Shallow inlet I usually hide and start a fire. If you are interested pm me and I ll give you exact location. However it might be busy and also locals don’t appreciate tourists starting fires.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 am

Kosta7 wrote:Are you guys camping? If so 90 mile beach is the go. Weed is still a problem there though.
Anderson’s inlet has been fishing well for pinkies,trevs, flatties and if you are lucky whiting. Only spot I can recommend there is close to Pensioner’s point. Maher’s Landing and Doyle’s road are good spots but very muddy since you need to wade in to fish the channel.
Shallow inlet and Walkerville are beautiful spots for whiting and kid friendly. Warratah bay and Sandy Point also there, with a nice beach for a swim and fishing. There is a little spot at Shallow inlet I usually hide and start a fire. If you are interested pm me and I ll give you exact location. However it might be busy and also locals don’t appreciate tourists starting fires.
Won't be camping, just staying until late. It's not going to get too cold, I think 18-19 degree at the lowest, but a fire will still keep my gf and dog entertained when it's dark. I don't think I'll bother wading unless I really have to and I really need too... don't feel like trying to get all the red backs out of my waders lol.

shallow inlet might be the go if it's a decent whiting spot, fairly secluded, and easy access? Yeah pm me if you don't mind mate, that would be good!

I was leaning toward black beach/bore beach out the back of San remo after looking at satellite images of a nice gutter with reefy structures either side, but surf beach fishing can be really hit a miss, and conditions are really hard to judge beforehand. crabs, sidewash, kelp weed etc. plus it's a lot more effort casting a 14ft rod lol.

edit: just spoke to a work mate who's a Sale local and he said 90 mile is almost unfishable at the moment, Seaspray is OK.... if you can cast behind the breakers... going to avoid the 90 I'm thinking.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 am

Don't think fires on the beach will be allowed in many areas definitely not San Remo. Maybe pick a beach on the George bass walk fish near the reefs.
Maybe Yanakie caravan park could allow fires but if your not staying its probably not an option.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 am

Shallow inlet, fish 70m left of the boat launching sign on the sandy point side. Last hour of outgoing tide first two hours of incoming tide, pippis and yabbies. If you fish the right spot there’s no way you won’t catch Whiting. Look for weed and sand patches, always done very well there.
Mahers Landing left of the ramp next to the red buoy. You don’t need to wade at all if you know what tide to fish. Last hour of outgoing first two hours of incoming. Pinky snapper, Whiting, massive flathead, trevally, elephant sharks, gummy sharks.

Those two spots are 100% worth fishing landbased. Good luck

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 am

rb85 wrote:Don't think fires on the beach will be allowed in many areas definitely not San Remo. Maybe pick a beach on the George bass walk fish near the reefs.
Maybe Yanakie caravan park could allow fires but if your not staying its probably not an option.
Wouldn't be fishing at the main beach in san remo, it's the back surf beach on bass strait (called bore beach on google maps), pretty secluded especially at night. give it a google mate.
STriplett1997 wrote:Shallow inlet, fish 70m left of the boat launching sign on the sandy point side. Last hour of outgoing tide first two hours of incoming tide, pippis and yabbies. If you fish the right spot there’s no way you won’t catch Whiting. Look for weed and sand patches, always done very well there.
Mahers Landing left of the ramp next to the red buoy. You don’t need to wade at all if you know what tide to fish. Last hour of outgoing first two hours of incoming. Pinky snapper, Whiting, massive flathead, trevally, elephant sharks, gummy sharks.

Those two spots are 100% worth fishing landbased. Good luck
appreciate it mate! is it possible to pump the nipper at shallow inlet? I like the sound of it and never been there.

LB is a whole new world to me, seems much more difficult to find good spots (and a LOT more difficult to catch good spots) so I'm definitely interested in putting in the effort... plus it's a lot more friendly for my GF and dog who can play around on the beach.
Last edited by Kimtown on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 am

I know where it is mate fires aren't permitted and a lot of other people use the beach including children best not to leave hot coles in the sand for some poor person to step on. Not to mention the risk of grass fires etc. It's an unnecessary luxury pack her a jumper or go to a caravan park with a fire pit.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 am

Hope you can forecast swell too.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”