Land based suggestions?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Kosta7

Re: Land based suggestions?

Post by Kosta7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 am

Kimtown wrote:This thread honestly needs to die lol
:rofl:
At least no mention of fires...
I fish quite heavy as well no matter the species. I know it’s not the right thing to do but I feel more comfortable running 30lbs braid all the time

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 am

Kosta7 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:This thread honestly needs to die lol
:rofl:
At least no mention of fires...
I fish quite heavy as well no matter the species. I know it’s not the right thing to do but I feel more comfortable running 30lbs braid all the time
I reckon a finicky whiting or bream will most definitely feel it, if they haven't already clearly seen it.

The other problem with a big leader in this type of fishing is hook size. Good luck getting getting a 1/0 on a 20lbs+ dropper... I struggle to thread the eye with a 10lbs leader at times.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 am

Unfortunately occasionally there will be unexpected by-catch that you may not be able to land. My view is you will have more success chasing specific species and applying techniques and using the correct tackle to be successful for those species.

There’s always exceptions to the rule such as people who target mulloway for donuts then land a trophy fish targeting snapper.

akimmy

Post by akimmy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Kimtown wrote:Went to shallow inlet last night, and although it's an awesome spot it was pretty damn busy and the weed made it close to unfishable (pretty annoying a anyway)
My cousin managed 3 just size whiting, I got a decent little mullet and a few tiny flathead.

Pumping 1 arm bandits is always fun and their were plenty there. What's the best way to get pipies there or do you need to be on the surf beach?
My partner and I went to Shallow Inlet just last month and we caught countless salmon, whitings and my first biggest ever caught flatty. We didn’t have any intention to fish there as we were both new to the place and just drove down from where we were staying just to explore Sandy Point and its surrounding.
When we arrived in Shallow inlet, we had a good chat with this old chap who was fishing at that time and gave as some tips regarding the tide, bait and the fish we can catch. He told us exactly what Striplet1997 mentioned above :thumbsup:
By the way, we just used blue bait and it worked like magic! :super:
-We’re both beginners when it comes to fishing and still trying to Google and Youtube things for advice and tips. Also, this our first post in this forum. :cheers:
Attachments
IMG_8389.jpg
IMG_8404.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Nice first post!
That flattie is a beauty! Nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 am

That flatty looks bigger than my pb already just about lol
Well done

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:21 am

akimmy wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Went to shallow inlet last night, and although it's an awesome spot it was pretty damn busy and the weed made it close to unfishable (pretty annoying a anyway)
My cousin managed 3 just size whiting, I got a decent little mullet and a few tiny flathead.

Pumping 1 arm bandits is always fun and their were plenty there. What's the best way to get pipies there or do you need to be on the surf beach?
My partner and I went to Shallow Inlet just last month and we caught countless salmon, whitings and my first biggest ever caught flatty. We didn’t have any intention to fish there as we were both new to the place and just drove down from where we were staying just to explore Sandy Point and its surrounding.
When we arrived in Shallow inlet, we had a good chat with this old chap who was fishing at that time and gave as some tips regarding the tide, bait and the fish we can catch. He told us exactly what Striplet1997 mentioned above :thumbsup:
By the way, we just used blue bait and it worked like magic! :super:
-We’re both beginners when it comes to fishing and still trying to Google and Youtube things for advice and tips. Also, this our first post in this forum. :cheers:
Beautiful frog

akimmy

Post by akimmy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:
Shame we didn’t have anything to weigh or measure it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

You will definitely get a good feed out of that one!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”