Yarrambat Lake

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
kahlua_khan

Yarrambat Lake

Post by kahlua_khan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi All,
I headed up to lake Yarrambat this arvo with the kids in tow. I've been to Yarrambat a few times and it's always resulted in doughnuts.

I'm pleased to say that there were a number of firsts for me this weekend!

There were a few fishing the lake and not long after we arrived a family further up landed a little brown. We rigged up the lines threw them in and waited.

After a while with zero action I thought I'd have a go at spinning. I put on a Tassie Devil and started thrashing away. The kids had gotten bored of waiting by this stage and headed off to play and not long after they left a fish hit my lure hard and I pulled in a nice little brown.

He was a bit small so after the kids had had a look I popped him back. Not long after it was time to pull up stumps anyway.

So as I said there were a few firsts. First fish out of Yarrambat, first freshwater fish on a lure and first trout!

Overall a nice little afternoon!

fishmagnet

Re: Yarrambat Lake

Post by fishmagnet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 am

were they definitely browns? I've only ever heard of rainbows being stocked into yarrambat...

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah - browns seemed unusual but regardless congrats on hitting those milestones - feels good to get some success!

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Nice work buddy.

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Maybe they were rainbows, having never caught either I wouldn't tell the difference! I did note it was rather pale, not as dark in colour as I expected. I'll pay much closer attention next time!

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Though each fish may vary in appearance due to condition, age, location etc, there are distinctive characteristics of both that make it easy to identify them. Looking at these two images it is easy to see where each gets their name.

Rainbow:
RainbowTrout.jpg
RainbowTrout.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Brown:
brown-trout-.jpg
Tom.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”