Landbased Options for Kids and Families

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Jarvi2001

Re: Landbased Options for Kids and Families

Post by Jarvi2001 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Try these spots!

Caribbean gardens ( big carp and average Redfin )
Ferntree gully quarry p ( I've seen and caught a few mixed sized Redfin but during the summer heaps of people swim their so be prepared for a big crowd)
Rowville lakes ( gets stocked with trout once a year however they die because of the PH in the water, but the biggest lake there has carp and Redfin)
Mornington pier ( small squid and small fish right beneath the pier)
Hastings pier (I can almost guarantee you'll catch a fish here however they are toadies, but I've also caught 3 big leather jackets here by just dropping my line directly Down)

If you go to any of these spots let me know how you go ! Good luck:)

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:10 am

Thanks again guys. I'll give Don Lake a crack and I've been to Emerald lake twice without a bite. I've tried Caribbean Gardens and only one bite after a few outings and Ferntree Gully Quarry and Rowville Lakes have had their moments.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 am

the problem with the stocked lakes is that you need to be there withing two or so weeks of the latest stocking, before the white bucket brigade have the chance to clean the place out

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am

Basti wrote:the problem with the stocked lakes is that you need to be there withing two or so weeks of the latest stocking, before the white bucket brigade have the chance to clean the place out
Yep. The day after it gets stocked you need to be there.

Carp fishing is probably my favourite thing to do with kids, the beasts are everywhere and the kids love catching big fish.

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 am

Basti wrote:the problem with the stocked lakes is that you need to be there withing two or so weeks of the latest stocking, before the white bucket brigade have the chance to clean the place out
x2

Yep same old retired bloke wipes out our local every school holidays.... goes down everyday for a week or two and keeps everything that touches the hook

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Lajon wrote:
x2

Yep same old retired bloke wipes out our local every school holidays.... goes down everyday for a week or two and keeps everything that touches the hook
Is that at rowville lakes?

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Lajon wrote:
x2

Is that at rowville lakes?
Nah Pakenham.... he even abused a guy the other week for letting a trout go instead of giving it to him. Spanner of the highest order.

Didn't think they were stocking Rowville anymore? Last I saw they had taken it off the stock list until the water improved?

A lot of memories from Rowville lakes, was always thinking "shoulda tried one of the other 2 lakes today" when donuts came up.....

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:53 pm

How do you know when they are stocked? Is it immediately before the holidays or is there a press release?

Owen3838438

Post by Owen3838438 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am

ChrisD wrote:Give Don Lake in Healesville a try during the coming school holidays - good access and toilets.
When the better weather comes and the Yarra flow rate drops - your a good chance of a carp or two in most spots - access can be tricky at times and not a lot of public toilets unfortunately.
The Yarra through the city back up to Herring Island will produce Bream - there are public toilets along that stretch and good access......parking can be a pain though.

Good luck - hope the kids get a few
Did you fish around Herring Island around in Yarra river before or see someone fish there? What kinds of fish did you catch? :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Owen3838438 wrote:
ChrisD wrote:Give Don Lake in Healesville a try during the coming school holidays - good access and toilets.
When the better weather comes and the Yarra flow rate drops - your a good chance of a carp or two in most spots - access can be tricky at times and not a lot of public toilets unfortunately.
The Yarra through the city back up to Herring Island will produce Bream - there are public toilets along that stretch and good access......parking can be a pain though.

Good luck - hope the kids get a few
Did you fish around Herring Island around in Yarra river before or see someone fish there? What kinds of fish did you catch? :)
I go past there often and see people fishing there from time to time.
I have tried there in the past as well. Seen bream and carp caught.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”