Telescopic combo

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Telescopic combo

Post by Broomstick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Telescopic rods are pretty dodgy - get a 5 or 6 piece travel rod. I have a 5 piece nitro magnum butt that easily fits in a small backpack. It's 4-6kg, but they do a 2-4kg travel rod too. They are pricey new but they pop up second hand semi-regularly for around 200 bucks (that's what I paid for mine). There are cheaper 5 piece travel rods out there but I haven't tried them.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 pm

I've never had much luck with telescopic rods, they all fall apart on me sooner or later, and I look after my gear !

If there is a top quality telescopic rod out there I would love to know about it !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Depending on what you are looking for have a look at the majorcraft benkei packing rods, majorcraft crostage packing rods, daiwa generation black travel rods and shimano raider travel series. For a something a bit different have a look at the pflueger transcendent range.

Hornet the only telescopic I know of that should be a reasonable quality is a palms molla.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 pm

mazman wrote:Depending on what you are looking for have a look at the majorcraft benkei packing rods, majorcraft crostage packing rods, daiwa generation black travel rods and shimano raider travel series. For a something a bit different have a look at the pflueger transcendent range.

Hornet the only telescopic I know of that should be a reasonable quality is a palms molla.
Now you mention it Alex, I have two pfleuger trion transcendence's that I don't use - if you're interested, let me know.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm

As others have mentioned - tele rods can be a bit dodgy, particularly in salt water - they will attract rust!

I suggest the Ugly Stick gold travel range. I have a couple; very well made, very tough.

Here's the range (no affiliation with the seller):

https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/pro ... l_rods_597

You should be able to find them cheaper than this - I paid $60 for the 6'6" spinning version.

Cheers,

Mike.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:28 pm

mazman wrote:Depending on what you are looking for have a look at the majorcraft benkei packing rods, majorcraft crostage packing rods, daiwa generation black travel rods and shimano raider travel series. For a something a bit different have a look at the pflueger transcendent range.

Very nice rods but out of my price range I'm afraid, I stopped buying them and have settled for two piece rods.

I'm not a fan of back pack rods, since an episode on the Goulburn river with a tree piece rod.

Apparently it was a gut busting laugh a minute session watching me chase a section of rod going down stream in the current.

I did catch up with it but my waders gained 365 liters in the process.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:33 pm

hornet wrote:

Very nice rods but out of my price range I'm afraid, I stopped buying them and have settled for two piece rods.

I'm not a fan of back pack rods, since an episode on the Goulburn river with a tree piece rod.

Apparently it was a gut busting laugh a minute session watching me chase a section of rod going down stream in the current.

I did catch up with it but my waders gained 365 liters in the process.
I have lost a tip section of a flyrod walking through the bush to the river, took a while to find that one. Now I either travel with the rod assembled and rigged or keep it in the tube and rig up at the river. I use predominately 2 piece rods, with only my fly rods and a shakespeare slingshot bought quite a while ago being more than two piece. May get a travel rod at some point in the future and that will probably be one of the transcendents mentioned above
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions, gives me a great deal to think about.

Magikarp

Post by Magikarp » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 pm

I've been recently looking into similar combo telescopic rods for a few days and found a few daiwa rods that look good. Problem is you have to get them from japan or europe.

Japanese models I've found so far, google translate is not perfect.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html (Youtube review https://youtu.be/qn7ue7RKz0Y)
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

Euro models
http://www.daiwa.de/dw/en/daiwa_home/te ... rdrows2=10

I've been looking at the Mobile pack 705 TMLS and Crossbeat 804 TMLFS but I really want the case from the BBB haha. I found most of the ones I was looking for on ebay from japan at <$200 excluding the BBB.

Theres a few other brands but Daiwa is good enough for me to look no further. Not 100% on buying yet after seeing some suggestions here and probably have a look into them first.

Any thoughts on these rods would be great :cheers:

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”