Wind and how it affects fishing

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
JackBomback

Re: Wind and how it affects fishing

Post by JackBomback » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

My dad told me to always fish into the wind. This only applies to inland bodies of water.

Kosta7

Re: Wind and how it affects fishing

Post by Kosta7 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 pm

4liters wrote:Depends a lot on what you're fishing for and where. Onshore winds are good for snapper fishing in the bays because it brings them in closer. Offshore winds are better for surf fishing because they can flatten the swell a little and allow you to cast further. Offshore winds are more comfortable to fish in and are nice whenever casting distance is beneficial. Cross winds are just a pain in the arse in my experience and offer no real advantage.

What wind is best for a given spot depends a lot on what you want to do. For example a strong westerly at Mt Martha rocks is great for snapper but would make it unfishable if you were targeting squid; if you wanted to catch squid there you're better off waiting for very light winds or an easterly.
Would also like to add that cross wind can be helpful especially if you are wading in the shallows using lures. I usually pick a spot and cast towards where the wind is blowing. That gives me some casting distance and then I start to reel the lure back hoping to find something that moves along the current.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”