ADVISE FOR LAND BASED FISHING

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
guwop1017

Re: ADVISE FOR LAND BASED FISHING

Post by guwop1017 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone, sounds like i better pick up a copy of this guide urgently. Lastly as far as stockyard point goes is it beneficial to do the big hike to the southern most point at low tide or just fish down by the carpark?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Hike to the point..and dont overlook cheaters advice re supermarket prawns (not those bait bag prawns). They out fishes every other bait in that location. The gummies are in the area actively feeding on crabs.You can fish from the car park on a high, but remember it is very shallow, and they do come in shallow to feed.. You can catch gummies there (similarly lang lang foreshore), but at the point you can get into the deeper channels

At least at stockyard you wont be bothered by the famed WP toadies, main bait stealers are school school sharks. Most WP piers are toady magnets, as well as a pain with tides running hard.

Theres also Tenby point bech too,though you may have more toadie issues there. You can reach deeper water on a high more easily than you can at either :LL or JJ

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:12 pm

laneends wrote:
Theres also Tenby point bech too,though you may have more toadie issues there.
you're not kidding :o_0: :o_0:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Nuscani wrote:My choice of bait for land fishing is pilchards. Works well for me wherever I land fish.
And it does not work for you wherever and whenever you fail to get a bite....am i right?

Make up your mind junior! Does it work always or only on places where you land fish? :o_0:

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm

I've never fished off a boat mate, only off land. It works better for me than any other bait on land, tried pipi, cured eel and many other baits, but i find the pilchards are the best. My mind was always made up lol. My favourite bait to use land fishing is pilchard, it always has been.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:05 am

Nuscani wrote:I've never fished off a boat mate, only off land. It works better for me than any other bait on land, tried pipi, cured eel and many other baits, but i find the pilchards are the best. My mind was always made up lol. My favourite bait to use land fishing is pilchard, it always has been.
there's nothing wrong with the humble pilly - I think most of us have used it from time to time but it's not the only bait and some areas will fish better on baits that fish are feeding on in that area
a bit of matching the hatch no matter if you fish from a boat or land based this still applies

in Westernport I don't use pillies that offen ( I know some do ) I feel there are better baits for maybe different reasons than you might think

up on the Mud Banks ( Lang Lang to Corinella ) every Gummy and Snapper you gut will be full of crab and/or Mantis Srimp so they are searching out crustaceans - Prawn must smell right or close enough as it out fishs any other bait on the Mud

in other areas where whiting are hunting Bass yabby guess what they will take one arm bandits all day long ( they will also take prawn ) I have fished with guys using fresh pippies and pillies for little action where the prawn is being smashed

funny enough fresh flathead fillits are another go to bait at times for me ( one of the best snapper baits yet not many probably use it )

bait fishing is no different to lure fishing you use what the fish are feeding on - it will up your chances every time
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 am

guwop1017 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone, sounds like i better pick up a copy of this guide urgently. Lastly as far as stockyard point goes is it beneficial to do the big hike to the southern most point at low tide or just fish down by the carpark?
I have seen people fish stockyard point and the car park at high tide with catches of gummy . Minimum size though, & nothing to say they couldn't be larger at one stage or another. I've also been there while some large gummies were caught (low) tide using tiger prawns, having said that, I was beside them and using squid and caught the same . Good freak night when they were on.

A lot of info on this and always comes down to using what info you have obtained - trail and error - personal preference - what works for you the best .

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Nuscani wrote:I've never fished off a boat mate, only off land. It works better for me than any other bait on land, tried pipi, cured eel and many other baits, but i find the pilchards are the best. My mind was always made up lol. My favourite bait to use land fishing is pilchard, it always has been.
there's nothing wrong with the humble pilly - I think most of us have used it from time to time but it's not the only bait and some areas will fish better on baits that fish are feeding on in that area
a bit of matching the hatch no matter if you fish from a boat or land based this still applies

in Westernport I don't use pillies that offen ( I know some do ) I feel there are better baits for maybe different reasons than you might think

up on the Mud Banks ( Lang Lang to Corinella ) every Gummy and Snapper you gut will be full of crab and/or Mantis Srimp so they are searching out crustaceans - Prawn must smell right or close enough as it out fishs any other bait on the Mud

in other areas where whiting are hunting Bass yabby guess what they will take one arm bandits all day long ( they will also take prawn ) I have fished with guys using fresh pippies and pillies for little action where the prawn is being smashed

funny enough fresh flathead fillits are another go to bait at times for me ( one of the best snapper baits yet not many probably use it )

bait fishing is no different to lure fishing you use what the fish are feeding on - it will up your chances every time
Looking back on my post, i forgot to mention that i only use pillys for saltwater fishing :rofl: My choice of bait for freshwater fishing is bread.
But again, just as cheater said, it depends on the enviroment of the fish and what they are feeding on.
Good fishing :thumbsup:

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:08 pm

For jam jerrup, 90cm-1m would be considered a good sized gummy. 1m - 1.1m very good. 1.2m or more very unlikely.

Lack of weed and more bare mud from LL through to Grantville creates a different environment (and few toadies/whiting/squid) than the rest of WP.

guwop1017

Post by guwop1017 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Seems banana prawns are the way to go for the area. What rigs tend to work better down there?

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”