Not what I was hoping

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
dezza68

Not what I was hoping

Post by dezza68 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Saw a decent forecast so got up early for a land based reef bash. Lovely morning and nearly flat calm. I had two outfits, one for reef fish and a heavier outfit in case the kings put in an appearance. Plan was to catch something suitable on the light outfit and put it out live under a big float on the heavy one. Trouble was getting the livey wasn't to prove easy. I stuck a whole prawn out on the big one instead. After about an hour of not very much the big float went under. Struck into it and after 10 seconds the thing came off, well bit me off! Thought it might be a shark. After this happened 3 more times I changed and put a wire trace on. Next cast hook stuck and what do I pull in a poxy barracouta! Was just non stop so put the big rod away and put the wire trace on the light rod. Saved the session by catching them on the light gear, no chance of a kingy though.

marckyg123

Re: Not what I was hoping

Post by marckyg123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Are barracouta good eating??

Johand

Post by Johand » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm

When caught always break the neck let them bleed out.Store in a cool place till its time to clean.
Dont be shy with the salt.They do have plenty of bones thats why many dont like them.
You can smoke them,dry them to make jerky.make pickle fish,curry fish,over a fire.
In the pan with egg and flower and fry.

Enjoy

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm

They can also have heaps of worms in them.
They used use them all the time back in the 50's & 60's for fish & chips.
I've never eaten them after reading fisheries figures of almost 80% were detected with worms. Not sure what the worms do but nah not for me.
Salt them and use them for Gummy bait
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm

They make good bait, hopefully will get me a gummy at the weekend.

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 pm

So the thing about the worms(Anisakis I think) are that they in the stomach and spread once the heart stops beating through the blood vessels. So if u bleed them out properly then the worms are stuck in the stomach and no need to worry about them spreading. As for the worms they are technically harmful to humans so if worms are spotted you need to cook it properly. if you really want to eat it raw, bite well so they die

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”