Fishing this coming weekend 18-20 Nov 2016

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Bishaz

Fishing this coming weekend 18-20 Nov 2016

Post by Bishaz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:23 am

Hi All,

I haven't been on this forum for years! I'm hearing that this weekend will be perfect conditions for fishing, I don't own a boat so will have to be land based for me. I usually fish around docklands, Port Melbourne, Mordialloc and Patterson Lakes. Even though I absolutely love fishing and have been doing it for the last few years now I'm pretty hopeless i think as more often than not i come back empty handed. I've been bait fishing only and have mainly caught pinkies, flatties and bream with the occasional whitting and mulloway. I've decided to make the switch over to lures and see how i go as it's a lot more engaging... :water:

If anyone is planning on heading out this weekend around the melb area and doesn't mind some company please let me know, you can either post here or private message me. Or if anyone has any pointers for me as to where to go or at what times that would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I would love to tag along with any experienced anglers that don't mind hanging out with a keen learner :-D

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Fishing this coming weekend 18-20 Nov 2016

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:08 am

"I've been bait fishing only and have mainly caught pinkies, flatties and bream with the occasional whitting and mulloway."

I can't see where you think your not doing well when you're catching the above ?

OR do you mean catch fish consistently ? because no one catches every time they go fishing.

Welcome by the way..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bishaz

Post by Bishaz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for the confidence boost hornet :)

It's more that this season has been pretty shocking for me so far.. I reckon I've been out a dozen times or so and only caught a couple of undersized bream.. My usual spot used to be in the docklands area below the ANZ building near Groove Train but haven't had much luck there recently so will have to venture out. I appreciate that people don't like to disclose their favorite spots but i'd appreciate any help i can get!

I'm yet to have anyone take me up on my offer but i'm still hopeful! :a_goodjob:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:44 am

I finally had a trip out last week on the Yarra from the Swan Street Bridge back - and just a few under sized Bream as well.......still better than no fish at all.
The big ones are there and with the flush of clean water through the system that the rain has bought - the fishing will get better as the rivers settle.

hornet

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:54 am

Bishaz wrote:Thanks for the confidence boost hornet :)

It's more that this season has been pretty shocking for me so far.. I reckon I've been out a dozen times or so and only caught a couple of undersized bream.. My usual spot used to be in the docklands area below the ANZ building near Groove Train but haven't had much luck there recently so will have to venture out. I appreciate that people don't like to disclose their favorite spots but i'd appreciate any help i can get!

I'm yet to have anyone take me up on my offer but i'm still hopeful! :a_goodjob:
Every area is seasonal, this means docklands also, the modern fisher needs to be flexible, fish for what's in season and be prepared to travel.
Use the reports to plan your future trips. at the moment Silver whiting are in good numbers at Cunningham pier Geelong according to some greedy guys getting caught.

Plan around this, go there catch some silver whiting for a feed ( watch your bag limit ! ) seeing your down that way head over to St Leonards and use some of the fresh silver whiting you just caught and put on jags and try for squid.

Have another rod out because king George whiting are there in numbers also, it's all about expanding your options, after dark throw out the heavy gear for a snapper and pull the pin about 10pm and head for home about a 2 hr trip. Home by midnight.

If you want fish closer to docklands then snapper / pinkies are in good numbers near you in the top of the bay, pick a rough night or one with some wave action and fish the bay piers and rock groynes, my best catches have been on very rough nights with only the die hard out.

Bishaz

Post by Bishaz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 am

hornet wrote: If you want fish closer to docklands then snapper / pinkies are in good numbers near you in the top of the bay, pick a rough night or one with some wave action and fish the bay piers and rock groynes, my best catches have been on very rough nights with only the die hard out.
See i'm learning something new with every post! I usually check the willyweather app and tend not to head out unless its below 10-12 knots as i like it to be calmer conditions. So are fish more active when it's windier? and how rough are you talking? it just makes it really tough to cast out and feel any bites when its rough...

hornet

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 am

Bishaz wrote:
hornet wrote: If you want fish closer to docklands then snapper / pinkies are in good numbers near you in the top of the bay, pick a rough night or one with some wave action and fish the bay piers and rock groynes, my best catches have been on very rough nights with only the die hard out.
See i'm learning something new with every post! I usually check the willyweather app and tend not to head out unless its below 10-12 knots as i like it to be calmer conditions. So are fish more active when it's windier? and how rough are you talking? it just makes it really tough to cast out and feel any bites when its rough...
I like some wave action for all fish really, I don't like calm nights, when it comes to snapper they are the exception for me anyway, I prefer rough weather when fishing for them, they seem to come closer to shore on these nights..

Bishaz

Post by Bishaz » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:07 pm

C'mon guys don't be shy i swear i don't bite hahah!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”