Rock fishing spots share

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Ferris

Rock fishing spots share

Post by Ferris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Hey guys, Ferris here. I would like to give some self-intro before I start, I am from China, been melbourne for around 6 years. I have caught almost all species that I could from the rocks
such as warsse, short fin pike(snook), sweep(a hell lot of them,normally sized from 25cm to 40cm), zebra(or luderick, great fighting fish), blue devil(spectacular looking fish, released), silver travelly(biggest one around 60cm at sorrento back beach),Australian salmon, herring cale(occasionally, around 45-48cm),mullet, leatherjacket(biggest one at Portsea jetty, round 58cm), jackass morwong(42 cm), and a very lucky one the Bastard Trumpeter (farily small size only about 38-40 cm), blackfish, blue throat, cuttle fish, squid, octopus, pinky.

I will show you guys some of the the spot that i fish,and the method i use to cacth them. And I also expect some expert anglers to give me some info about the possibilities of catching king fish or big salmon (over 50 cm) on the rocks, thank you.

So, the spots and the methods.

My favourite spot for the fish mentioned above is the sorrento back beach. I have caught a lot of zebra, sweep, pinky and my biggest travelly over there. I use paternosta rigs for pinky, salmon and travelly. But because there are a lot of reefs and weeds under the water, it's very easy to have your rigs bitten off by the weeds and sharp rocks. So i nomally use float to avoid the frustration of losing rigs.(i dont know how to insert image here... so if you interested, plz google it. The length between the hook and the swivel is about 1.2 meters, use a very small sized sinker just as big as a bean) And the spot is very near to the carpark, but the wave is quite strong sometimes, so check the tide and swell before going, and its only fishable at low tide.

Cape schanck is another good spot for me , lots of different species over there because of the depth of the water. Blue devil, squid, leather jacket, salmon, snapper, penguin...fur seal...
Follow the tracks and turn left at the end of the tracks then turn right to the end, you will find a big rocky platform, plz check the tide and swell before going, always go there with your friends because sometimes humungous wave may wash you off the rocks.

Pearse Road, Blairgowrie VIC 3942, This is my secret spot! google it! same method, a huge amount of sweep round there, blue throat, black fish, zebra, salmon, mullet can also be found when sweep fishing.

Plz leave a comment, i am appriciated if anyone can give me some info about kingfish from the rocks. Cheers.
Last edited by Ferris on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Rock fishing spots share

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Firstly :welcome: to the forum mate!
Thanks for sharing that information.
If you are interested in catching kings from the land some guys from this forum did well off the rockwall from Portland awhile ago now.
They did very well. Some good sizes caught. From memory I think they used a fresh squid strip under a float :P

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:44 pm

If your up for the drive. They were getting some of the eden peir i think only a few months ago

one2three

Post by one2three » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:07 am

Ferris wrote:My favourite spot for the fish mentioned above is the sorrento back beach. I have caught a lot of zebra, sweep, pinky and my biggest travelly over there. I use paternosta rigs for pinky, salmon and travelly. But because there are a lot of reefs and weeds under the water, it's very easy to have your rigs bitten off by the weeds and sharp rocks. So i nomally use float to avoid the frustration of losing rigs.(i dont know how to insert image here... so if you interested, plz google it. The length between the hook and the swivel is about 1.2 meters, use a very small sized sinker just as big as a bean) And the spot is very near to the carpark, but the wave is quite strong sometimes, so check the tide and swell before going, and its only fishable at low tide.
Hi Ferris,

I'm keen if you could share more info on this spot.

I've rock fish since I was a kid.

:-D :-D

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:42 am

Most possibly here. Low tide only and calm seas. If you cannot swim dont go here
Attachments
20161124_124043.png

one2three

Post by one2three » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Most possibly here. Low tide only and calm seas. If you cannot swim dont go here
Thanks for image and sharing.

For me always low tide and calm waters when I rock fish and love every minute of it.

Any other good rock fishing places you can suggest?

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Most possibly here. Low tide only and calm seas. If you cannot swim dont go here
FC .. your artwork looks very tempting but still have issues with rocks and fishing .. will pass thanks :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

one2three

Post by one2three » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm always up for adventures for land based rock fishing.

:water: :water:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:38 pm

VooDoo wrote:
FC .. your artwork looks very tempting but still have issues with rocks and fishing .. will pass thanks :)
That's not artwork. That was my best attempt to draw your shin. The black lines are the scabs. You probably know what the red lines mean. :tongue:

Yup, excellent decision. Don't go there. You will probably run and grab your rod when a seaweed snags your line. :rofl:

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
VooDoo wrote:
That's not artwork. That was my best attempt to draw your shin. The black lines are the scabs. You probably know what the red lines mean. :tongue:

Yup, excellent decision. Don't go there. You will probably run and grab your rod when a seaweed snags your line. :rofl:
Kekekekeke :)

Look like no where is safe for me to fish now ... rocks X .. piers X .. boats X ... only option left is Springvale Market .. safe and cheaper in the long run!!!

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”