Gale warning

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Gale warning

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 am

Well there is a gale warning for port phillip.

So are there any brave foolhardy fishos going to don the wet weather gear and fish the gale?

With a bit of luck might hit Mornington pier tomorrow arvo.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Gale warning

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am

I tried Mornington Pier yesterday. Water was rough but did not get any hit on the snapper setup up. A few undersized pinkies caught by other anglers. I caught 1 salmon on SP. not much to be excited about. No luck on cala.

Brett went home with a nice cala from mornington pier but that was it....
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:52 am

Well... Change of my plan to fish off rocks this avro in morning areas cos it look s a bit rough to stand. will try mornington pier instead with a bit of luck.
Last edited by hskim00 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Wind decreased this avro so headed down to rocks near Mornington after work as my initial plan. Arrived there around 4:30pm and started setting up gears one by one. Action was pretty quick, had a good run for 2hours and caught a number of pinkies. About 10 undersized ones were returned, to water, which then left me 4 pinkies to take home. The biggest one was 38cm and the rest were just legal size

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 am

hskim00 wrote:Wind decreased this avro so headed down to rocks near Mornington after work as my initial plan. Arrived there around 4:30pm and started setting up gears one by one. Action was pretty quick, had a good run for 2hours and caught a number of pinkies. About 10 undersized ones were returned, to water, which then left me 4 pinkies to take home. The biggest one was 38cm and the rest were just legal size

Nice. unfortunately I didn't get to go

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
hskim00 wrote:Wind decreased this arvo so headed down to rocks near Mornington after work as my initial plan. Arrived there around 4:30pm and started setting up gears one by one. Action was pretty quick, had a good run for 2 hours and caught a number of pinkies. About 10 undersized ones were returned to water, which then left me 4 pinkies to take home. The biggest one was 38cm and the rest were just legal size

Yeah, you never know fishing. It was a bit regretful that I didn't have enough baits. I only bought a 500gram pack of pilchards at a tackle shop after finishing my work in Rosebud cos such a hot action wasn't expected at all and I didn't intend to have a long hour session on rocky areas. Guess what?? I was too busy to replace baits on my three rods and all the pilchards were gone within 2 hours.

It is noteworthy that pilchard cuts were baited on a 6ft rod with a 1/0 hook, half pilchard on a 8ft rod with a 3/0 hook and the whole pilchard on a 12ft surf rod with double hooks; a 1/0 bait holder and a 4/0 circle hook. The 6ft rod did damage, caught most of the fish and I had to struggle to pull the fish in with that light rod :r . Two other rods were only hooked up with a 70 cm draughtboard shark and a benjo which gave me a little bit of excitement and were returned to water.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 am

hskim00 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
hskim00 wrote:Wind decreased this arvo so headed down to rocks near Mornington after work as my initial plan. Arrived there around 4:30pm and started setting up gears one by one. Action was pretty quick, had a good run for 2 hours and caught a number of pinkies. About 10 undersized ones were returned to water, which then left me 4 pinkies to take home. The biggest one was 38cm and the rest were just legal size

Yeah, you never know fishing. It was a bit regretful that I didn't have enough baits. I only bought a 500gram pack of pilchards at a tackle shop after finishing my work in Rosebud cos such a hot action wasn't expected at all and I didn't intend to have a long hour session on rocky areas. Guess what?? I was too busy to replace baits on my three rods and all the pilchards were gone within 2 hours.

It is noteworthy that pilchard cuts were baited on a 6ft rod with a 1/0 hook, half pilchard on a 8ft rod with a 3/0 hook and the whole pilchard on a 12ft surf rod with double hooks; a 1/0 bait holder and a 4/0 circle hook. The 6ft rod did damage, caught most of the fish and I had to struggle to pull the fish in with that light rod :r . Two other rods were only hooked up with a 70 cm draughtboard shark and a benjo which gave me a little bit of excitement and were returned to water.
Goes to show about casting out too far.

Yeah I had a hot session one day off Frankston Pier and went through 2 packets of bluebait, one of squid. Plus countless hooks that were too far in to remove.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am

Another day of strong winds, 25 knots at present, with high tide at around 2.

Should be worthwhile wetting a line, again mordi seems to be producing according to the fishing reports.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1348975633065.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1348975633065.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 am

Had a plan to fish off the rocks where I caught a few pinkies last Thursday. The old dog learned a lesson from the last session so did good preparation this time. Armed with salted pilchards and bought some frozen cala on my way down to the destination. Arrived at 3:30pm but couldn't wet the line there due to unexpected guests ocuppying my secret spot. :angryfire: Came back to my car and drove just little further down to the other edge that was also rocky. Hadn't fished down there so be prepared to lose some tackles to rocks until I locate a flat ground in the area. Westernly wind blowing up to 20knot and incoming tide made it very difficult to fish off rocks but it was worth at the end. After losing two constant tackles to snag, I managed to find a flat ground and caught a 31cm pinky and then 32cm and then 51cm in an hour. :thumbsup: Couldn't stay any longer coz wind and swell were getting worse, which gave me a bit of alert so packed up my gears and went home with a happy smile. :D

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”