Float fishing rod

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
paddy27

Float fishing rod

Post by paddy27 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi,

I have been to only a few places like Mornington pier, Williamstown and sandringham for fishing and it has been only two months since I started learning. I have got two fishing rods that I got from Kmart and they are like $30 each. I did not know whether they are good or not but I caught some breams, pinky and flathead using two cheap rods.

Now, I want to get proper fishing rod for floating fishing. I have seen people using rods ranges from 10 ft to 15ft for float fishing but I have no idea how to choose right one for float fishing. I cannot seem to cast even little far with my current rods with float as they are short.

Could someone please recommend which fishing rod I should be looking to get for float fishing? I normally fish at piers or rocks for breams, pinky and flathead

I think around $100 is okay for me to start with. I looked at the ranges of fishing rods at Anaconda store but no idea where to start..

boosted

Re: Float fishing rod

Post by boosted » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:15 am

The reason you can't cast far with your kmart rods is most likely not because they are short, but because they are most likely heavier built and with a far too thick diameter line and a chunky reel.

I would recommend just buying a 2-4kg 7-8 foot rod with a small 2000/2500 size reel probably a shimano sienna(really good $50 reel) would be perfect
and buy some either 6lb or 8lb mono or flurocarbon i found berkley vanish was not bad for spooling a reel with. Used to be much cheaper though i'm sure any other line will be fine.

With a combo like that its much more versatile for float fishing for the species you are targeting. you will be able to cast easily 5-10 metres with the right weight on the float And can be used with a sinker if you have no luck with float.
Those rods your mentioning are either ISO type or most likely the large rods older men just use for float fishing they can't be used with a bottom rig and are strickly float rods i find they have limited use and wouldn't suit you if you're still after that type I'm sure somebody else will help with it! Goodluck!

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:19 am

Go into your local tackleshop and explain to them where you fish and what you wanna catch and your price range. Most places will be able to tee you up a half decent combo for $100.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:56 am

float fishing for gars ?or float for squid ? Any idea of target specieS
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

nick

Post by nick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Have a look at isofishinglifestyle.com.au plenty of information and videos. The owner is very helpful and you can buy a rod for just over 100 bucks.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:27 pm

DougieK might have his ISO rod for sale still too
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Ive done a bit of garfishing of late, and have ditched my expensive set ups in favour of the cheapest/worst combo I own. It was a $10 BigW special, the rod is like a wet noodle, and the reel has some unknown lb mono on it, but because it is so soft, I dont pull hooks on the strike, and if I get a tangle, I just slide the float up the line and tie on a new hook. Its great. Since I changed from my stradic ci4+/Starlo stix combo, I reckon I have landed 50% more fish. I also tried a longer 9" 1-3kg course rod I have, and it was too awkward.

TLDR: a 7" soft rod should be fine for off most piers, dont spend a bunch of money on a float rod for gars etc, save that for your lure rods. By all means do it if you want, but I find a cheapy more than adequate.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”