Fishing frenzy

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Fishing frenzy

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Grab a bait slider and next time you hook a 30cm sambo slide that sucker out.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:32 pm

GTSHoon wrote:Have a look at the japanese iso fishing mate, sounds like what you want to do! And would be some awesome fun to catch anything on it from wrasse to trevs
Cam
That looks like fun but it's too light for my needs. I was fishing about 50 metres out today as there is too much kelp close in. The wind puts a bow in your line so when you have a bite you have to take up all the slack before you make contact with the fish. The longer rod would help me do this. Turning into a lazy angler as I just sat down and watched the float all day, much easier than thrashing the water to foam when you are spinning.
Cast, catch and put it back

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm

DougieK wrote:Grab a bait slider and next time you hook a 30cm sambo slide that sucker out.
I didnt bring the heavy gear on purpose today. I do have a few of sambos relaxing in the spare fridge ready for the morning when they will be sliding out ready for the next round of how hot will my drag get!

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Just had a look at a mojiko surf cannon in Annaconda. I reckon it would be perfect for the job. Its definately not a surf rod but its light enough and should be able to bang out a float with a 40g sinker. Anyone used one before? (ive got a $50 voucher so only going to cost $25)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:13 pm

I'd buy the 1303 Shimano Aeroweave if you were an Manoconda in frankston before i touched a Mojiko rod. they feel good but i've never heard a good thing about one.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:17 pm

DougieK wrote:I'd buy the 1303 Shimano Aeroweave if you were an Manoconda in frankston before i touched a Mojiko rod. they feel good but i've never heard a good thing about one.
Bought a Mojiko 12' and it casts extremely well.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:34 pm

DougieK wrote:I'd buy the 1303 Shimano Aeroweave if you were an Manoconda in frankston before i touched a Mojiko rod. they feel good but i've never heard a good thing about one.
The aero is about twice as heavy though!Would be a pain holding it all day plus I have it on good authority that santa is sending me a metalite flick tip out from the uk so not going to buy another surf rod.
The mojiko was the right sort of weight and stiffness. Im off to the prom this weekend and want to have a bash with the float gear, sick of spinning and catching nothing. :-D

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Bought a Mojiko 12' and it casts extremely well.

Thanks, I reckon its going to be perfect for casting a float from the rocks.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 am

I just had a look at the asf website and the surf cannon gets a thumbs up. Going to open the wallet and give it a try. Going to bring the heavy gear and put a salmon flapper out and then see if there are any more trevs about on the float.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:40 am

Changed my mind on the surf cannon front. Got a daiwa aird 11ft instead, well ordered it anyway.
Had a morning of firsts today. Did a dawn session on the rocks just using the float gear. Was on a falling tide so much less water than when I fished it before and the lack of wind meant I could see the bottom. A suprising lack of kelp but very rough ground so no suprise I lost lots of gear when I fished on the bottom. I put some berley out and was into bites straight away. A couple of small trevally and then I hit a slightly better fish. My first snapper/pinky from the shore was quickly hauled in. Went about the 7/800gm mark. Yeehaah at last. Was not exactly fast and furious but caught another two over the next couple of hours all on float fished pilchard tails, all around the same size.
Was sitting on the rock staring at the float when I noticed movement round to my left. In crystal clear water no more than 20ft from the rocks was an absolute horse of a kingfish. Im nearly 20ft above the water so had a great view of it. Its difficult to estimate the size but looked well over 10kgs. I optimistically drew my float gear over towards it (optimistically cos on 10lb mono I had no chance) but it glided past and dissapeared out to sea.
So the firsts, catching my first land based snapper and my first on the float. Seeing my first Kingfish. Fishing in the rain for the first time in oz, I can confirm that its just as miserable as doing it back in England although, not as cold.
Next stop the Prom!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”