Fishing frenzy

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
dezza68

Re: Fishing frenzy

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:18 am

4liters wrote:Yeah, or you could just freeze big blocks of it with a loop of rope sticking out; you could keep sliding more blocks down as you need to and at the end of the day you'd retrieve all your sliders and rope when you reel the line back in. No extra lines needed.
I reckon the drawback with that is that you have another tensioned line in the water. If you do pick up a big fish you might end up cutting yourself off on that line. I will need to find a way of carrying this much burley into a spot as well.
Cast, catch and put it back

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 am

Basti wrote:If you get a Carp feeder (weighted burley thing) maybe you could freeze that into the middle of a ball of burley. I think they have a swivel attached so you could cast it out on a second rod and retrieve once the burley is melted off.
The only problem with that is the fish might take that and ignore the bait. The carp guys actually bury their bait into the feeder but not sure how I could replicate that with 8/0 hooks.?

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Had another bash this morning after a bit of sneaky pre baiting last night. Was a fish a cast on the small bait although only a procession of rubbish sharks and banjos. I have cut down an old beach caster butt and using 18 inches to strap the tld 15 to loaded with 50lb braid. I cast out with the normal butt and then swap over to the short one. I removed the ring on the butt section to allow me to change over. I reckon this is about 20kg tackle now. I had three bites which all moved off with the bait but unfortunately two dropped it. I hooked up one and nearly ended getting pulled in. I had 500m of braid on that spool and another 100m of 50lb mono. I use the word had literally. It just took off on two runs and emptied the spool.
Will have to have another think. The south africans land big sharks off the beach on lighter tackle than this! Bugger!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:38 pm

What did the run feel like? Was it smooth or was there head shaking? There's some monster black rays around and if you hook a 100kg one (pretty sure they can get to 350kg) you won't be stopping it, even with marlin gear.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 pm

It was much quicker than the last one that spooled me. It went out at 45 degrees and then i thought I'd turned it but it then went straight out away from me. Massive buzz though, will just keep banging away until I hook one small enough to land.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:30 am

I had a couple of hours free last night so hit up Stony point fo a nice iced donut. Was trying for a snapper but baits were untouched. There were only 4 other fishos there so I thought there was plenty of room, how wrong I was. Rods everywhere using random scraps of polystyrene as floats, all left to fish themselves with a quick check every half an hour or so. At one point I couldnt reel in without snagging their lines ( so I did). This is not fishing, it's just catching. If you are fishing properly land based 2 maybe 3 rods is all you can properly fish and monitor bites. We had a few choice words but the language barrier didnt help get accross the finer points of my argument.
Always somewhere else to fish I suppose.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 am

Similar to my experience there. I don't bother with piers anymore.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:35 am

Had a bash yesterday for the usual stream of rubbish fish and sharks. Managed to break a rod casting. Perhaps 4oz lead and a whole mackeral is a bit much for the old red bone surf rod!
Should start slide baiting again. Going to try the rocks again this week.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Needed a change of pace today. I've had to refill the spools on the reels Im using about 10 times after constantly getting emptied. If I was less stubborn I would have changed location weeks ago but the sight of one big fin on a fish I was attached to for 20 minutes kept me going. Have managed to stay attached to a fish for 40 minutes without seeing it.
Anyway today I went to the rocks with a big tub of frozen burley balls to see what was about. Had two rods fishing on the bottom and suprise suprise, swell sharks and banjos were in abundance but they day was not a complete loss. I'd taken my light rod rigged up with a sliding float. Had to keep going deeper until I hit the fish, started off about 12ft and hit the zone at about 23ft. Virtually a fish a cast for for an hour with salmon going bananas, nothing huge but 30 to 35 cms on this light gear was great. Bites just stopped for an hour and then I had a couple of twitchy bites which I kept missing. I put a smaller fish strip on and hooked the next bite. Straight away it was pulling line off the reel and was very difficult to turn, it kept shaking its head and when I first glimpsed it I thought it was a snapper (on a float rig?). Turns out it was a decent trevally, only just had enough guts in the rod to swing it up onto the rocks, was nudging 2kgs.
Sent it back on its way and 10 minutes later I had another one, caught 4 in all before the bite shut down, all around the same size. They give a seriously good account of themselves on light gear.
I was using my spinning rod and its just not long enough for float fishing as you cant take up the slack line quickly enough. Now on the lookout for a 13ft rod with a 2lb test curve, also going to change to braid for this as the lower diameter should help with the wind bowing the line.
Most fun session Ive had in a while.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Have a look at the japanese iso fishing mate, sounds like what you want to do! And would be some awesome fun to catch anything on it from wrasse to trevs
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”