Fishing frenzy

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
dezza68

Re: Fishing frenzy

Post by dezza68 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:05 am

I've tried a few baits, pillie, squid,and pippie but have found that fresh fish strips and bluebait pieces work the best. They dont attract more fish but they do seem to deter the toadies.
The rig I use is just a sliding float rig set to fish about 2ft off the bottom. I know when Im too deep as get plagued by wrasse and grasss whiting. You need the lightest float you can get away with so a gar set up would work. The only difference I have is that because I'm using light line I put the sinker on a piece of 20lb line rather than sliding up and down the main line.
Cast, catch and put it back

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm

So time is nearly up and I must reluctantly rejoin the workforce very soon. I think I have done ok and covered most of my target species in the last few months but there are still a few left to crack and they are all related. I haven't done much night fishing only really mornings so I think this has limited me on the shark front. I did by igfa rules catch a shark as I got hold of the leader before it came off in the shallows, I saw the fin and am confident in saying it was by far the smallest of the 6 I actually hooked, which is probably why I got it in. So I still want to catch a proper shark and I still want to get a gummy. I haven't even seen one caught yet. Ive tried a few times in the muddy bits of wp but no luck yet.
Those failures apart its been a great few months. I have done lots of different styles, tried many many different spots and learned that some of the stuff I know works and some has been an absolute disaster. Deep spinning through the kelp cost me 15 sets of gear in one session for the princely return of 1 swell shark.
Anyway the tale of the tape so far is: Snapper 39cm Bream 42cm Salmon 57cm Kingfish 76cm whiting 38cm Flathead 62cm Trevally 42cm squid 40 cm.
All caught landbased except the whiting and a lot of it with my son in tow. He's turned into a decent angler although hes now turned veggie so it may well be at an end.
If anyones got any tips on the gummy front would be glad to hear them.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 pm

dezza68 wrote:
If anyones got any tips on the gummy front would be glad to hear them.

Mate, search some of my earlier posts from balnarring/merricks, or just search balnarring/merricks. There is plenty of info on here that should get you a legal gummy from those beaches, within the next 2 weeks(if you have the time).

If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll drop some info to you.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:49 pm

dezza you shoulda entered the species comp

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Basti wrote:dezza you shoulda entered the species comp
Haha, freshwater list is looking a bit sorry by comparison though!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:59 pm

dezza68 wrote:
Basti wrote:dezza you shoulda entered the species comp
Haha, freshwater list is looking a bit sorry by comparison though!
Saltwater bag is looking pretty awesome though!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Nice one mate. That's a good list by anyone's stabdards!

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Was fishing yesterday and was just plagued by squid, even when I caught a fish the squid were attacking them on the way in. I chucked some squid jigs in the bag today as I never really fish for them, in fact I've only ever caught them on hooks before. Typically it was not as good as yesterday but I caught three decent sized (guessed around 30 to 35 cm hood)ones on a orange ang gold jig. I only used the light one as its pretty snaggy but was good to actually see one of the takes.
They are now lying in state in the fridge hopefully to be turned into a gummy tomorrow

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:39 am

DougieK wrote:Pretty much what the guys have already said.

MrG and I have posted a fair bit of information, there are a few other bits we're playing fairly close to our chest.

Quite literally all I did was jump on Navionics, find any ledge that looks like it drops into deep water, then jump on google maps and figure out if it's accessible, then make a scouting trip carrying minimal gear to see if it's actually safe to fish, then make a heavy trip in the right conditions if it is. Repeating this process again and again and again until i've come up with a relatively good collection of different ledges to fish from depending on the conditions. The three or four that we've picked to fish consistently we're slowly figuring out but still have a long long way to come.

I'll tell you this. If you want to fish a WestPort entrance ledge or a Wilsons prom ledge for snapper, you have to start pretty much now. Snapper season in the bays usually gets hot around september, and you want to catch them on the way in. A VERY well known land based fishing guru told me to start at the start of August, so far i hvaen't really had time but I will try next week.

Please take the time to consider each spot and the relative dangers that can occur there. Fishing the deep side of Cape Schanck is practically impossible in anything but perfect conditions at low tide. Fishing Bushrangers Bay is the same. Red point you have a bit more leeway, but you can't actually get there without crazy amounts of effort during the top half of the tide, although once you're there it's fine to fish a hightide change.

Don't go alone unless you are extremely comfortable with the spot you're fishing. I've scouted quite a few ledges solo but the first few times i've fished them i have ALWAYS had 2-3 people with me.

There is a video series here about scouting ledges...... viewtopic.php?f=134&t=13328&p=162021&hi ... ng#p162021 and you can see the eventual result here viewtopic.php?f=142&t=13717&p=167827&hi ... dy#p167827

There are some good reports from Red Point here.... viewtopic.php?f=207&t=13264&hilit=red+point and a few more if you look in the Woolamai section.

If you are not experienced fishing rocks i'd recommend a session at Mt Martha first just to get a feel for the rocks under your feet and some of the problems they can cause, and then second fish a north facing ledge at Red Point. There is no swell at Martha and absolutely minimal at Red Point if you stick to the north facing ledges, and will give you a good grounding in rock fishing without the constant danger of one coming clean over the top.

Happy to help with individual spots, but you'll have to PM me for more details.
Great info here ta....

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am

bowl wrote: Great info here ta....
Nice bump Movement. Just because I've mentioned a spot before doesn't give RB the right disclose where people are posting pics from.

You guys want actual reports on the forum respect the people who write them. This is exactly the kind of floggery that's turning this place into dirt.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”