Rock fishing

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
simon2g

Rock fishing

Post by simon2g » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 am

Been getting quite a few decent size eating snapper, I like catching em pan-sized and dont mind upto around 45cms for keepers.

But where im fishing off the rocks, i wanna master the art of not getting snagged (granted i know im always gunna catch one here and there but it just means, more time in the water = more fish)

The other day when i was out, i threw my bait out.. lifted the rod to test what bottom i was one.. could feel a bit of weight but it would come up if i lifted so i knew my sinker was on reef (patternoster setup) once in.. i left those baits alone as I had whole squid head and whole salmon head on (smallish salmon).. scared to touch the rod incase i moved to a snag but given those hardy baits i didnt need to check my baits.

Other rod had squid tentacle and pilchard which constantly was getting bites so constantly had to reel in and change.. got snagged twice in a 2hr session (not bad), I know and always lift first before reeling my bait back.

I dont mind throwing just a small ball sinker to a swivel with a short leader of 25cm to a single hook bait to throw around and constantly retrieve slack or even unweighted baits to avoid snags.. but sometimes you cant especially in a head wind. Ive tested a few different types of sinkers to best avoid snags, whats the best one? Any other tips to avoid snags?

simon2g

Re: Rock fishing

Post by simon2g » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:49 am

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”