ADVISE FOR LAND BASED FISHING

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
guwop1017

ADVISE FOR LAND BASED FISHING

Post by guwop1017 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 am

Hi all, first post on the forum.

Im about to start Uni and have plenty more time to get out fishing, although have had a a bit of tough luck lately on land. Ive given stoneyard point a crack twice at low tide recently with little luck and was hoping someone a bit more experienced could steer me in the right direction with some landbased spots in PPB or WP. Mainly targeting some bigger flatties or a gummy but any decent eating fish would be good.

Ive been using cured eel and squid on a running rig with a eezy clip and a 30cm dropper to a sinker, with a 1 metre 50lb leader to a 5/0 circle hook. Hasnt worked too many wonders for me yet so any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Chris

Stewy

Re: ADVISE FOR LAND BASED FISHING

Post by Stewy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 am

G'day and welcome ,
I've tried eel many times at I presume you mean stockyard point/jam jerrup? Never worked. Squid mainly on a padanoska rig seems to work the best. I'm their quite often and rearly go home without a gummy.
Pilchards work good too but have to check your baits often and with elephants around the corner. They would make it extremely hard for you to go home fishless.
Cunningham pier is normally good for flatties and quite comfy .
No long walk

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1532
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9010
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8595
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=1556

My advice is read the above topics and obtain a copy of the Landbased Fishing guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 am

guwop1017 wrote:Ive been using cured eel and squid on a running rig with a eezy clip and a 30cm dropper to a sinker, with a 1 metre 50lb leader to a 5/0 circle hook. Hasnt worked too many wonders for me yet so any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Chris
Stewy wrote:G'day and welcome ,
I've tried eel many times at I presume you mean stockyard point/jam jerrup? Never worked. Squid mainly on a padanoska rig seems to work the best. I'm their quite often and rearly go home without a gummy.

like Stewy I would use a paternoster rig ( 2 hook ) it will cast better off the beach and the gummys aren't that fussy really to what rig you use

then the go to bait in the area are raw banana prawn ( both Coles or Safeway keep them in the Deli section ) it will work for Snapper as well up in the muddy end of Westernport - also Elephants that should be starting to poke about so a drop in hook size to a 3/0 maybe in order if you what to try for a long nosed bait remover
head tail and shell the prawn and cut the meat to fit the hook you will get 2 baits per prawn for a 5/0 hook

by the way I would use prawn on a paternoster rig for Lang Lang over the high tide - Stockyard over the low - Grantville Jetty over the high and Tenby Point on the dropping tide all will produce Gummies
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 am

This might be of use. A couple of popular locations around Melbourme surrounds that are worth a try. A little project I have been doing.

https://youtu.be/va3Cd80F2p8
 https://youtu.be/awK7_zKAV8I
 https://youtu.be/ju4QBq1n4MY
 https://youtu.be/y23T9cDOG-U
 https://youtu.be/BhqgrZnrFy0

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 am

My choice of bait for land fishing is pilchards. Works well for me wherever I land fish.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
My advice is read the above topics and obtain a copy of the Landbased Fishing guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays.
Never fails. :rofl:

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 pm

I second pilchards, and drop your hook size to be able to catch the smaller species too. As for spots, the guide has some good information. Most piers will produce something if you follow the fish seasons and weather..
Az.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Never fails. :rofl:
I wish I received a commission for every time I recommend that booklet.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Afn guides needa sponsor this forum

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”