Where to test out my Catana 702 and targeting what

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Reeling

Where to test out my Catana 702 and targeting what

Post by Reeling » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:59 pm

G'Day all,

Thought I would put the feelers out to see what people would recommend. I've just bought myself what I suppose you could call an solid "Entry Level" setup: Shimano Catana 702 and a Shimano Sedona 2500FE.

I'm gagging to get out and try it out land-based as I don't have a boat (member of a Decky page :) ). I live in Newport but work out at Lara so have a relatively good area that would be convenient in the evening - be it on the way home or even a little detour to Geelong.

I'm open to trying all species, but quite fancy getting myself some SP's or hardbodies and giving that a go. What would your suggestions be where?

If anyone would be open to a bit of company too, then I'd love to get out and learn. My work is pretty flexible so can usually finish a bit early if necessary.

Cheers,

Nath

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Where to test out my Catana 702 and targeting what

Post by 4liters » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Werribee off the new break wall?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Reeling

Post by Reeling » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:45 pm

4liters wrote:Werribee off the new break wall?
I'm not familiar with Werribee, where abouts is this? estuary end? or up by wyndam harbour?

would you go SP? any preference

Thanks,

Nath

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Pretty sure there is a minimum post count for PM's but when you reach it you'll have one waiting for you.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:21 am

Give Princes pier a crack mate. 5inch to 7inch jerk shad type plastic or a wriggle tail in similar size and around 1/2oz jig head.
Snapper, salmon and flatties are regularly caught from there, even the odd jew fish.
Its a good comfortable platform to fish from and there isn't much to get snagged up on out there

Reeling

Post by Reeling » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give it a whirl i think. Time to get to the tackle shop and just buy a range of SP's and weights

MattKing

Post by MattKing » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:42 am

Thinking of buying that very same rig myself.

I often fish in Newport, and target Bream. I don't use lures as a general rule. I fish in the Yarra (in the vicinity of the pontoon) sometimes, and also in the warmies channel, past the boat ramps and the little fenced off nature reserve area 100+ meters on the seaward side of the boat ramp ....

The thing is to target bream in close ... i Usually fish with light gauge line ... completely unweighted ... a size 6 circle hook and a peeled prawn .. obviously, youre not casting that out too far ... but this method works for me ... I have pretty good days and also quiet days .... I've been absolutely smoked a few times by some pretty decent fish ... and also landed some nice size bream ....

I assume fishing these areas with Soft Plastics or other lures would also work. I just never have any luck with plastics, so I stick to bait fishing ...

And Newport is on your door-step by the sounds of things!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”