large number of aussie salmon around

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
rafei1

large number of aussie salmon around

Post by rafei1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Birds going crazy too far for casts but at least they dropped in to give us a chance, first one got lucky, but second time I was lucky landed a 45 cm, lots of others catching them too. :gone:
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

jessescibo

Re: large number of aussie salmon around

Post by jessescibo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 pm

where abouts

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Mordialloc pier, they were swimming far away from the pier, they did pass by twice and then moved away quickly.
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

there has been a large number of bait fish hanging around mordi pier late at night but havent seen much chasing them. there were a few splashes one night while the bait fish were around but i think they were couta. by a lot of bait fish i mean a school that went all the way around the whole pier. must have been millions of them. i couldnt believe that there wasnt something chasing them.

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 am

today u could see the salmon jump out of the water at times it was like a feeding frenzy from top the birds and bottom the salmon, but hope they will be around for another few days.

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 pm

It was nice to meet u today tomcat, good luck with ur snapper

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Heading down there tonight with some spinners. Not even a touch or a sign of life. The snapper guys were doing ok off the end and I think i saw soemone with a gummy.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 pm

rafei1 wrote:It was nice to meet u today tomcat, good luck with ur snapper
good to meet you too mate. the snapper have been good the last couple of days. i have heard from friends that they have caught a few nice snapper off of a few of the local piers both day time and night. i did catch one snapper about 2 kilos and a couple of pinkies that were big enough to keep one being 29 cm the other was 30 cm. and i hooked a really nice salmon at about 53 cm. unfortunately i caught the salmon on one of my surf rods not on a lure with the new spin rod. i still have yet to catch anything on the spin rod. will have to fix that this weekend. might hit one of the back beaches if the weather is good and spin for salmon and try to chase a gummy.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 am

I was in Sandy area last night passing time. No cala in sight due to murky water but I had a baited rod out. A school of salmon came and I landed 3 in quick succession on cala bait. The biggest was just a few grams shy of 1.5 kg. I even foul hooked one near the top of the head - on bait! When you start foul hooking salmon, that means they were thick. The fish arrived after sunset. They stayed for good 15 minutes but they were not hitting my cala bait hard. Just the occasional tap tap. If I was using lure or whitebait as bait, I probably got a lot. I will be back soon with spin gear in tow.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Its gteat news for you tomcat, im going to be there soon, try for salmon and snapper, had some mullets from last time and will be using them as bait hope they are good enough. Might get pilchards too. If salmon are around it will be perfect fun on the spinning rod like tuesday.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”