first time salmon fishing

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
jessos1

first time salmon fishing

Post by jessos1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Hey!

A Friend and I are planning a weekend to go and target some Salmon off a beach somewhere in South Gippsland as it's our first time Salmon fishing and I'm not a very expierienced in this sort of fishing I was wondering if anybody could share some rigs with me and baits to use? I'm not to fluent in all this sort of stuff so maybe a bit of a more simple rig would be good if thats possible.

Thanks guys if this trip turns out a success ill be posting photos for you's! :fishing:
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

Daisymuffin

Re: first time salmon fishing

Post by Daisymuffin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 pm

try using metal lures :)

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 am

Thanks Daisy! I've got a bit of spare $ so I'm willing to buy a few different things to try.
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 am

Hey mate, what sort of setup are you using.. .?
Just to work out what size metals wil do ya..

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 am

Twisted dropper Paternoster, surf popper on top dropper, hook on the bottom with something tough like squid on the bottom hook, as little weight as you can get away with and still hold bottom.

When I go with newb's fishing the surf I find that squid lasts longer than pillies or bluebait and gives them a chance to strike on a bite.

Crustyfrog

Post by Crustyfrog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm fairly new to fishing off a beach myself.
I just tie a snap swivel to my line and then clip on a 'Gillies' pre-made paternoster / salmon rig that comes with an extra popper, and goes for about $8.
Clip a 4oz star sinker on to that and I'm good to go.
I've just been using a packet of frozen blue bait.

berazafi

Post by berazafi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Don't buy pre made rigs if you are anyway serious about fishing, you tube has everything you need to now, for 8 bucks you could make 10 rigs

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 am

http://www.fishingknotsandrigs.com/tag/geoff-wilson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The aboeve is a good way to tie droppers for the surf, It took me about 3 minutes to learn a few months ago after I saw pretied rigs at Big W and thought "I could do that". So I did. You've always got spare line hanging about and once you've got some tied, warp them around a piece of hard foam for storage and you're ready to quickly change set ups when you get broken off or when you want to try something different.

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Guys will let yous know how I go :)
:gone:

Diesel1

Post by Diesel1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 pm

What are Australian Salmon like to eat are they only for bait or cat food you hear so many reports on there tast.???????? Diesel1

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”