Lagoon pier salmon

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
fishermanOTM

Lagoon pier salmon

Post by fishermanOTM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi guys, gonna be heading off to lagoon pier to target salmon, haven't caught salmon before and was wondering if this set up will do shimano Siena 2500, shimano sonic pro 2-4kg, 8lb Berkley st mono line and Gillies pillchard 40g.
7 hooks, no bait, 7 fish.

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Lagoon pier salmon

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:53 pm

try a lighter lure for the weight of your rod. more like 15-20g.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

abu-garcia

Post by abu-garcia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm

i suggest at this point you head out to princess pier which is better and head off there at about 6am to 12 and you could possibly bag out on your Australian salmon try using squid as well with a running sinker rig and a size 4 hook even chicken breast works just fine as i experienced this stuff last weekend on the station pier caught 13 salmon ranging from 30-40cm and at this time i caught all of them at 9:30-11 am
cheers hope this helps

fishermanOTM

Post by fishermanOTM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Any soft plastic lures i should use for salmon?

abu-garcia

Post by abu-garcia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Naa there not even good

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm

If you cant raise a Salmon on your slugs , try using Pilchards as bait .

plasticfanatic

Post by plasticfanatic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Plastics work fine on the sambos. I was catching them at Lagoon pier on SP's a few weeks back. I was having luck on plastics with a prawn like profile, quarter ounce jighead. The trick is to keep them or your lures in the midwater column. Don't let them sink to the bottom or you're a fair chance of getting snagged at Lagoon.

fishermanOTM

Post by fishermanOTM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 pm

What size hook and line should i use?, also with a 7'3 6-8 kg rod can i fish from the beach if i cast out 40 gram lures?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am

fishermanOTM wrote:What size hook and line should i use?, also with a 7'3 6-8 kg rod can i fish from the beach if i cast out 40 gram lures?

You can but you might have issues with range. Somedays the fish are in tight and others you need to be hitting 60-70 metre casts to get anywhere near them. If you have the money pick up a budget Catana 902, will match your reel nicely. I got mine for $81 on special at anaconda but i think they retail for $99 or so. The first time you hook into a really good salmon it's worth it !

As for hook and line, i'm using 5.7kg braid from specialtyfishing who sponsor this forum and a similar leader. Hooks just the stock treble that comes on any 40g slug. The lures i like are halco twisties and gillies pilchards between 10-70g. In light conditions the 25ish ones are fine but if the surf is heavy use 40+. Some of the more experienced guys on here replace the treble hooks with inline singles but i haven't managed to find them yet.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

i use soft plastics all the time for salmon. the curl tailed grubs are great. usually use a 1/4 on jig head on them. this works great from the piers. if the wind is to your back you can use them from the beach also. just throw them out and just reel in at about a slow to medium pace. want to keep in middle of the water column. if their not biting on slugs or soft plastics then try little bits of bluebait under a float.i have caught many of them with bulebait also. u usually use a number 6 long shank hook for them when using bluebait.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”