Piccaninny (little) Dawn

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Piccaninny (little) Dawn

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 am

Woke up early so rather than twiddle my thumbs, decided to head down to the pier and hopefully score an early morning salmon.

Arrived at the pier, in ideal conditions, no wind, there was a slight ripple on the water that didn’t affect mirror like quality, reflecting the light of the full moon as it was setting. The water was so clear it was possible to see the bottom. There was the endless hum and drone of the worker ants as they traffic along the ants highway.

Gradually the sky began to lighten as the Piccaninny Dawn started to show, as the Piccaninny dawn began the relatively mild temperature began a rapid plummet towards the freezing point. Sadly I had left my gloves in the car thinking that I wouldn’t need them.

Suddenly out in distance the surface of the water was disturbed and what looked like a bow wave, made by some sort of creature just under the surface. Then briefly, very briefly a dark shape showed itself. What was it? A seal or a dolphin? More dark shapes appeared as they moved closer to the pier. The dark shapes turned out to be dolphins.

The level of anticipation increased, had the dolphins managed to herd a school of salmon in close? I waited with baited breath for the bust up of the water surface being turned to foam as the salmon sort to flee from their herders.

The dolphins disappeared, where had they gone, it became obvious that the dolphins were gradually moving north along the shore. Casting lures towards the dolphins produced no hits, as they slowly and leisurely cruised away.

Having been distracted by the appearance of the pod of dolphins, I became more aware of how cold I was feeling and not wishing to linger any longer headed back to the car.

(if any one is too lazy to search for Piccaninny and asks what does it mean, I will ban you for a while. Get the hint)
(it would appear that the usage of this word has changed, some of our authors have used this to describe the early magical mystical period the precedes the true dawn.)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Piccaninny Dawn

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 am

:good: Wolly very humorous
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:41 am

Raulfc7 wrote::good: Wolly very humorous
That might depend on which side of the fence you are on,I'm sitting here having a coffee with my 50 year old brother in law who is koori, and he finds the P word quite derogatory to his culture.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 pm

drew 2 wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote::good: Wolly very humorous
That might depend on which side of the fence you are on,I'm sitting here having a coffee with my 50 year old brother in law who is koori, and he finds the P word quite derogatory to his culture.
Drew I'm not talking about the tittle of the article but the body if it. Personally I wouldn't use the word but I am not the author.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm

It is a well written article i agree,as are most of woolly's which i enjoy reading as well,and i'm sure he meant no offence. It's just that the word holds certain connotations to some people of his generation & culture and did bring a reaction from him when he saw it,and it was not with humour.

tinyballerina

Post by tinyballerina » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm 1/16th dingo. Not sure if that allows me to have an opinion or not.

For what it's worth - I'm not offended and neither is my mum and her mum and her father wouldn't have been either.

Nice report Wolly!

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”