Got a few new lures

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Got a few new lures

Post by poodoo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 pm

I swear those plugs look absolutely ugly......but must be effective! Remind me of a door stop.....lol

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:10 pm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1430140204837.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 pm

poodoo wrote:I swear those plugs look absolutely ugly......but must be effective! Remind me of a door stop.....lol
Had a lure in my tackle box that I thought was so ugly the nothing would take it. Used it a few time for large trout without success, bought it from Rod Cockburn in Wagga.

Few decades later, give or take a few years, went cod fishing and figured that this ugly lure wouldn't matter if I lost it. Guess what it turned out to be real cod killer.

I had even seen the lure in those reject bins in tackles stores and K-mart, could have picked fair few up fairly cheap, But by the time I realise that it was a real cod killer, they didn't make these lures anymore.

So now if I see a lure that I think is ugly and nothing will take it, I buy it.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 am

poodoo wrote:I swear those plugs look absolutely ugly......but must be effective! Remind me of a door stop.....lol
Fish aren't art critics. Too many anglers get drawn in by the way they think a lure should look instead of how it actually works. These things twist around just under and on the surface, wait until you see a group of 5 or 6 salmon shoulder charging each other to get to it, you won't think it's quite so ugly anymore...lol...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:58 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That pelacus casts really really well.

I've just been using a Halco Roosta on the surface, working effectively for me so far.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 am

CarlG wrote:
Fish aren't art critics. Too many anglers get drawn in by the way they think a lure should look instead of how it actually works. These things twist around just under and on the surface, wait until you see a group of 5 or 6 salmon shoulder charging each other to get to it, you won't think it's quite so ugly anymore...lol...
They are effective seeing your catch it still surprises me how some lure makes just make an effective product with good action and less bling and other lure makers it is about the bling factor (probably to catch the fisherman). Got to see it in action next time at gunners) :icon_lolz:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 am

All brands and colours of lures work .... But sssshhhh ... That's a secret ;)

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

CarlG wrote:

Did you leave the trebles on or change to a single?

Uluabuster

Post by Uluabuster » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Richter plugs/McCarthy plastics weren't available in Vic back in 2008-2010. I bought a few and carried them from Perth to Vic.

Richter plug works well with a reel with large diameter spool or reel with decent speed ( high gear ratio). Because they are weighted for casting, this weight needs to be countered for it to swim quick. So a high speed reel will counter the weight to make the lure swims well.

With the rod pointing at 11 O'clock, reel your handle quick the lure will make splashes across the surface drawing attention to nearby predator. If you dip your rod tip horizontal to the sea surface, the lure will nose dive occassionally and re-surface, again creating a bubble trail.

You can retrofit the treble at the back with a short trace of assist cord + assist hook. That makes it harder for salmon to throw the hook when they go air-borne.

This humble looking and ugly lure has been known to take tuna, bonito, spanish mackerals & tailors when busting up on the surface.

I customised mine with a few strips of reflective stickers on sides, adding the appeal of the lure during bright daylight.

Pelacus metal is also from the same mob who imports these plugs from South Africa.

Another great south african creation is GT-Ice Cream & Iron candy range of lures. GT ice cream is made of chopping board material so it doesn't scratch and chip off easily, cast like a bullet. Iron candy are essentially pieces of moulded lead for high speed spinning. I used one for vertical jigging and can be seen from this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Did you leave the trebles on or change to a single?
Still got the trebs on at the minute..debating sticking a big 4/0 inline single on..

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”