Jan Juc salmon

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
Pelican

Jan Juc salmon

Post by Pelican » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:10 am

Got up early today today the conditions looked perfect high tide north winds clear sky's, ok I'm on its going to be a fishy morning, the idea was spinning for salmon so got to point roadknight about 6.30 walked out to the point was meet with a little too much water coming over the rocks to be really comfortable but far from un fishable there was still a bit of a storm with a little lightning out to sea but not close enough to be dangerous. I start casting my trusty halco 40g twisty. And cast and cast move get a little wet at times and continue castin, changing lures bigger smaller all the time thinking next cast I'm on next cast next cast. Bloody he'll this is usually my go to spot when conditions allow. After a hour I admitted defeat and wondered back to my car. Driving back home in decided to pop to Jan Juc and have a few throws I will not be defeated, it was a picture at the beach when I arrived so I start casting again back to the old favourite halco after half a hour my finger was starting to get some serious braid burn( do any of you salmon spinners suffer from this terrible condition? Do you have a solution) I thought it's not my day, having a few cast's on my way up the beach in felt like I'd got a bit of weed cause it didn't feel like a salmon hit, just a little extra weight on my lure I half lifted my rod and it felt a little fishy so I gave it a whack and whoosh it must have been swimming to the beach when I set the hook he turned and went nuts,was one of the best salmon fights in ever had, left right jumping I tightened the drag three times the bugger sat behind the bank and wanted to stay there. A great 5-6 minutes went by before I got him to the sand. By no means the biggest salmon 49 cm and bout 2kg but he put up a he'll of a stink. And made it delicious fried fish sandwich for breakfast. Sorry for the long report for one fish but I felt like I worked for it.
Attachments
DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Jan Juc salmon

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:16 am

Good fish mate! and good report! :rocking_report:

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 am

Great read and pics! Persistence pay's off :thumbsup:
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:48 am

Good work mate..they always make you fight for it lol...49 would normally put it in the 1.5-1.65 range. They are the most deceiving fish length/weight wise. You're normally looking over 60 to get 2kg plus..which is why facebook is such a laugh, with 4kg salmon that are 55cm long...
Having said that, any salmon over 1kg is a battle in the surf..

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:00 am

CarlG wrote:Good work mate..they always make you fight for it lol...49 would normally put it in the 1.5-1.65 range. They are the most deceiving fish length/weight wise. You're normally looking over 60 to get 2kg plus..which is why facebook is such a laugh, with 4kg salmon that are 55cm long...
Having said that, any salmon over 1kg is a battle in the surf..
Yeah, i got a 49cm one that i weighed a little while back and it came in at 1.212kg bled. Was fantastic fun to catch tho

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:07 am

Nice one, good fish and good report!

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 am

Good report mate. Love catching the Salmon. AS for the finger burn, I had the issue as well, but found it's about the cast and release position, once you get a motion you'll end up casting all day. It got to a point where I used the rubber paper flickers for casting and felt ridiculous but then it was about motion and release point.

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:05 am

I just put an elastoplast bandaid on my finger after getting a huge papercut from the braid

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:22 am

Your finger is getting cut because your drag is slipping. Set your drag at about 2kg if you're fishing with 6 kg line and you'll be fine. You can adjust your casting action to help, I'm happy post a video of how to. If you want me too.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 pm

DougieK wrote:Your finger is getting cut because your drag is slipping. Set your drag at about 2kg if you're fishing with 6 kg line and you'll be fine. You can adjust your casting action to help, I'm happy post a video of how to. If you want me too.
Thanks for your help dougiek looking at your posts I know you're a man in the know, I've got 10 pound braid do you hold the line to the rod it self or to the real seat? Am I letting go too late. Thanks again for your help.
Sincerely Mr 1 fish red finger

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”